Rkt Question

Decorating By mrsmc23 Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 5:20am by mvucic

mrsmc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmc23 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 14

I've never used rkt before and was wondering if you need to put anything on the rkt for the fodant to stick to it or if the fondant can go directly on top. TIA, cheryl

13 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 14

I use buttercream to cover my rkt. But, I have seen posts where people use melted chocolate or nothing at all. hth

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 14

I think most people use a small amount of buttercream. I have used nothing before and it was just fine, but they were small details. If it was larger RKT details I think I would use BC.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 14

What I usually do is I rub shortening all over the RKT and cover in fondant. I prefer to use two layers of fondant to get a smooth finish.

Otherwise, just can just use water over crusted buttercream.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 14

do you compact the rkt to use them and if it is a large item should do like a brick style set up for putting it together or one large sculpt? How far in advance can you do this and they still be eaten? Please and thanks....

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:57am
post #6 of 14

Can I add RKT question too? Any ideas on keeping it crisp/hard?

I'm working on my second package cake and want to use RKT for the lifted style lid. Made a batch formed it into a cake pan. Put a smaller cake pan on top and used it to press down HARD to compact. As it sat, each day it got softer and softer. Tossed that one. Researched and found articles on how to keep them soft for eating, and did the reverse! I scrunched the cereal before I mixed in marshmallows; didn't use any butter or margarine; and scrunched it solid inside the pan again. Looked good for a day now getting soft again.

I was thinking of putting it in a very low oven to crisp - cool and cover as quick as I can with fondant? Or should I make another batch and cover as soon as it cools? Or I can't make it in advance at all? Does it have to be made the day it's used to stay hard?

Thanks everyone for letting me chime in too.....

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:02pm
post #7 of 14

patty, are you using fluff or actual marshmallows??? it makes a difference... fluff tends to make them softer in my experience... and since i have been half obsessed with Ultimate Cake Challenge lately... the competators always cover the RKT with buttercream or a frosting before covering with fondant.... from what i have seen anyway... HTH.

PattyT Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmamma

patty, are you using fluff or actual marshmallows??? it makes a difference... fluff tends to make them softer in my experience... and since i have been half obsessed with Ultimate Cake Challenge lately... the competators always cover the RKT with buttercream or a frosting before covering with fondant.... from what i have seen anyway... HTH.

I used regular marshmallows ...and the stalest ones I had on hand! The advice people were giving to keep the RKTreats soft for eating was to use nice fresh marshmallows. So I tried the reverse.

I'm addicted to the Cake Challenges too. But they probably need the treats soft to mold in shapes. They did do a "cereal challenge" way back and it looked like they were sawing those!

I wanted a stiff piece like that for a lid...Pretty sure I'll have to use a covered cake board for support, then cover it with fondant.

Thanks!

ladycake17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycake17 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm
post #9 of 14

I read somewhere that using the store bought RKT works better.

PattyT Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycake17

I read somewhere that using the store bought RKT works better.

I used Acme's brand. So I did everything "wrong" to to try make them crispy and dry, but still ended up with soft and tasty. icon_cry.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:06am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

Can I add RKT question too? Any ideas on keeping it crisp/hard?

I'm working on my second package cake and want to use RKT for the lifted style lid. Made a batch formed it into a cake pan. Put a smaller cake pan on top and used it to press down HARD to compact. As it sat, each day it got softer and softer. Tossed that one. Researched and found articles on how to keep them soft for eating, and did the reverse! I scrunched the cereal before I mixed in marshmallows; didn't use any butter or margarine; and scrunched it solid inside the pan again. Looked good for a day now getting soft again.

I was thinking of putting it in a very low oven to crisp - cool and cover as quick as I can with fondant? Or should I make another batch and cover as soon as it cools? Or I can't make it in advance at all? Does it have to be made the day it's used to stay hard?

Thanks everyone for letting me chime in too.....

You can mix in some melted white candy melts or melted white chocolate when you're making the RKT.

I add about 1/2 a bag melted per RKT recipe....this makes them much more firm and they still taste good. (I also don't use any butter or fat)

PattyT Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:04am
post #12 of 14

dkelly! That's a fabulous tip. Thanks so much.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:48am
post #13 of 14

Yep i had some leftover dark chocolate, melted that in bc I didn't have enough marshmallows (difficult to get out here) and that was awesome for molding, didn't get soft and was eaten by the kids a couple of days later with no problem. Was a cake that was taken to a remote village, so I needed to make sure that it held up, my ayi said, not a crumb survied the village children's onslaught

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:20am
post #14 of 14

[I add about 1/2 a bag melted per RKT recipe....this makes them much more firm and they still taste good. (I also don't use any butter or fat)[/quote]

So, when you add the chocolate, do you decrease the amount of marshmallows and butter? I'm going to attempt to make a wave using RKTS, but I'd like it to be stiffer.

TIA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%