Mmf Question

Decorating By sassenach Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 12:51pm by luvmysmoother

sassenach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassenach Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:26am
post #1 of 3

I just made my first-ever fondant cake! I made and used MMF. It took me two hours to get the fondant rolled to the right size and thickness and have it not stick or tear. Even when I finally did manage to get it onto the cake, I had to repair a few tears and there were definitely some imperfections. It still set ok, and I didn't have trouble with it falling or sliding off the cake, thank goodness!

It just seemed like maybe it was a little too soft to work with? As soon as I got it wrapped around one hand/arm and lifted from my work surface, it would start to stretch. Should I have used more sugar when I made it? I thought I used too much as it was (I used a whole 2lb bag). Or would too much sugar cause it to do this?

I'd like to use it again for another project. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! icon_smile.gif

~Jenn~

2 replies
ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:40am
post #2 of 3

Did you let your MMF sit overnite? You have to give it a resting period. I use it all the time on cake and cookies and as long as I let it rest overnight I never have a problem with it. Also remember the amount of sugar in the recipe is only a guideline. Knead in only what you need to get a smooth fondant much like a well kneaded bread dough. Depending on the weather the amount of sugar I use can vary quite a bit. Practice and you will get the hang of it. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 3

I never understood why people talked about tearing fondant until I tried making the mmf variation that calls for shortening. I had no choice last night but to make mmf with shortening and omg - I've never experienced anything like it. It was tearing and cracking constantly - I tried a bit of glycerin and I was finally able to cover the cakes but NEVER again will I use mmf with shortening in it (normally I use only melted marshmallows, vanilla, and icing sugar - don't even add water - and have never had a problem with that recipe)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%