Best Icing For Cookies

Baking By anjaligg Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 1:13am by bakingmama18

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:29pm
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

I prefer Rolled Buttercream for decorating cookies. You just use the same cookie cutter for it that you use for the cookie. It gives you a nice smooth surface to add your details. I use BC for details, but then I don't bag them or ship them.

If you don't mind my asking, did you use the rolled buttercream recipe here on CC? Did you add any additional flavorings? Thanks so much.

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #32 of 43

I like a softer cookie...I'm a little bit more about the taste than the look. Whe I make cookie bouquets, I have several in my gallery, I use a soft sugar cookie recipe and a good crusting buttercream...both of which are posted on here.
They are little bit more fragile than NFSC and RI, but I put them on sticks and uses them in cookie baskets all the time with no problem...and they melt in your mouth!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:49pm
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjaligg

What do you think is the best icing for cookies? Would it be royal, color flow or something other? I have never decorated cookies before and would love to get feedback to get started. Thanks.

Anjali

Royal Icing and fondant are my two icings of choice. They are more versatile and easiest to use. Glace icings have a history of problems and rolled buttercream can be challenging as well.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

Quote:

I prefer Rolled Buttercream for decorating cookies. You just use the same cookie cutter for it that you use for the cookie. It gives you a nice smooth surface to add your details. I use BC for details, but then I don't bag them or ship them.

If you don't mind my asking, did you use the rolled buttercream recipe here on CC? Did you add any additional flavorings? Thanks so much.

I didn't get the recipe here, but I just looked and the one on here is identical to the one I use. I don't use butter flavor. I use almond or more vanilla instead. Of course, you can use any flavor you wish. If you're using color for an entire batch, add it before the powdered sugar. For small quantities of color, it's pretty easy to knead the color in after it's made. It's pretty soft...use plenty of cornstarch when rolling it out. When it sits for long periods, the corn syrup will start to settle out. Just knead it a few times to to get it mixed back in. Attach to the cookie with a thin layer of buttercream. It's great! Good luck! Here's the link to the recipe on here that is the same as the one I use:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7400/rolled-buttercream-icing

I searched my photos and only found 2 pics that I have uploaded using RBC. One is soccer shirt cookies (I guess I do bag them sometimes!) and the other is a small purse cake, the lavender one in the bottom left corner.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1446140
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1358274

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:51pm
post #35 of 43

My daughter and I also prefer a softer cookie with a "buttercream" type frosting. Everyone says they are TO-DIE-FOR! icon_biggrin.gif Thank you for the other recipe links too. thumbs_up.gif

bakingmama18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmama18 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:50am
post #36 of 43

HI guys, I'm new at this; is RBC the same as rolled fondant? it seems like it is when I peeked at the pictures. I want to get into decorating cookies with icing, until now I've been using rolled fondant, it gives nice results, but I'd like to try the royal icing you're all talking about!

PuffCake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:12pm
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingmama18

HI guys, I'm new at this; is RBC the same as rolled fondant? it seems like it is when I peeked at the pictures. I want to get into decorating cookies with icing, until now I've been using rolled fondant, it gives nice results, but I'd like to try the royal icing you're all talking about!

Rolled buttercream rolls out like fondant, but it is softer and has a taste and creamy texture similar to buttercream. Royal icing dries hard.

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:39pm
post #38 of 43
Quote:

Quote:

Rolled buttercream rolls out like fondant, but it is softer and has a taste and creamy texture similar to buttercream. Royal icing dries hard.

Question: Is rolled buttercream like buttercream with a lot of extra powdered sugar added to it to make it like a dough (similar to fondant) that you can roll out?

PuffCake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:50pm
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

Quote:

Question: Is rolled buttercream like buttercream with a lot of extra powdered sugar added to it to make it like a dough (similar to fondant) that you can roll out?

No, it's not like BC with xtra PS. The BC recipe I use is 2 lbs PS + 2c shortening. The RBC recipe is 2 lbs PS + 1c shortening + 1c corn syrup. It doesn't have any more PS than BC does. It just has a BC like texture because it's creamy when you eat it and a BC like taste.

If you tried to add extra PS to buttercream, I don't think it would work.

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:52pm
post #40 of 43

Thanks Puffcake! Are there any recipes available? What recipe do you use? Also when you get some rolled buttercream, do you use it the same as fondant? (Does it have the same properties as fondant?)

PuffCake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:59pm
post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Thanks Puffcake! Are there any recipes available? What recipe do you use? Also when you get some rolled buttercream, do you use it the same as fondant? (Does it have the same properties as fondant?)

Check out my post above on this same page for a link to the recipe. It is much softer and doesn't stretch like fondant. You could not cover a large cake with it, but I have covered small ones (see my previous post above). I use it mostly for cookies because I like a soft icing on cut out cookies. You could also use it for accents or small forms on a cake, but nothing very large.

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:03pm
post #42 of 43

Got it! Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

bakingmama18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmama18 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:13am
post #43 of 43

Thanks guys for your help, hope to try soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%