Heating Core Help

Decorating By amysjustpeachy Updated 22 Feb 2005 , 10:09pm by MrsMissey

amysjustpeachy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysjustpeachy Posted 19 Feb 2005 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 13

Hi!

I'm new to this site, but have already found it so helpful- I'm learning about stuff I didn't even know existed!!

I need to make a 16" square cake, and although I've made it before and I don't remember having any problems, I've just read that a cake that size needs a heating core. I live in a rural area, and there aren't any stores around where I can get one as soon as I need one. I don't want to risk ruining this cake. I was wondering if there are any common household substitutes that anyone has ever used in a pinch. Any ideas would be much appreciated!!!!!

12 replies
cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 19 Feb 2005 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 13

I have never made a cake that big, nor have i used heating cores. But i do know that you can use flower nails as heating cores,

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 19 Feb 2005 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 13

The flower nail works also! Grease and flour your flower nail, just as you do the pan and then put it upside down (point facing up) in the middle of your cake pan. It doesn't hurt to use (2) of them,spaced apart. It conducts heat to the center and helps the cake bake more evenly, just like a heating core! thumbs_up.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 19 Feb 2005 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 13

Using a nail head also helps avoid having a 'plug' of cake to try to put back in when you use a heating core.

amysjustpeachy Posted 19 Feb 2005 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you so much! That's a great idea!! I appreciate your help.

MrsMissey Posted 19 Feb 2005 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 13

Gald to help! That's what we are all here for...sometimes we teach, sometimes we learn! icon_wink.gif

smiling1809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smiling1809 Posted 21 Feb 2005 , 4:12am
post #7 of 13

I did a 14" inch today that "should" have had a heating core, but it turned out fine w/out one. I had never heard of one, and the ladt at my local cake store (in business forever) said you can do w/out them unless the cake is really thick and just enormous.

I am new so I wouldn't put too much stock in my advice. I was just sharing my personal experience with you.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 21 Feb 2005 , 4:53am
post #8 of 13

I've only baked up to a 14 inch- never used one- so far so good.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 Feb 2005 , 5:33am
post #9 of 13

I've gone w/out a heating core, gone w/ one, used flower nails. I'd rather go w/out either. If I watch my cakes then they come out good everytime. I think Wilton & other Co. just come out w/ those handy dandy things to make more money! icon_biggrin.gif

MrsMissey Posted 21 Feb 2005 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 13

...I think you're right! I bake my 11 x 15 without using any kind of heating core and it's just fine! icon_biggrin.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 21 Feb 2005 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 13

I've never had a problem with a half sheet but I've had a big round cake not bake as evenly as I'd want so I now use my big flower nail to be sure. It's cheap insurance and couldn't be easier. Slap some cake release on it ans stick it in the pan. I'm sure not spending 5 bucks on the core when the nail does the trick.

amysjustpeachy Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 9:55pm
post #12 of 13

I feel so embarrassed!! After worrying and asking for help, I realized after I had just put my cake in the oven that I had forgotten to put the flower nail in!! I figured it was going to be one of those "lesson cakes" and just left it in there, but it appears to have come out just fine and not over cooked. Maybe it was a fluke, but I will remember it for sure on the second layer!!

MrsMissey Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 13

Hey...it's happened to all of us! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%