Is All Tylose Created Equal??

Decorating By korkyo Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 9:10pm by cheeseball

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:41am
post #1 of 4

I have been making my Gum paste for a year or so. I use the Nicholas Lodge formula. Never had any problem with it till the last 3 batches.It is sticky, stretchy and impossible to work with. I try adding more tylose, powdered sugar.... it seems fair then after it sits a bit it becomes sticky again.

I have been using the Brand Confertionary international . Now all of a sudden it is not right. Could be me but I'm not sure.

I also have Sweet inspirations CMC tylose but I have not used it lately. I think I'll make a batch tommrow and see how it goes.

Any suggestions??

3 replies
korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 4

no help for this one??
Cake Babe are you out there?

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 4

I have no idea why you are experiencing problems, but I'll bump this up. Most tylose purchased at cake supply places should be chemically the same - CMC or carboxymethyl cellulose. You could always call or e-mail Nicholas Lodge - he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I usually use his recipe, too.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 4

Nope, it ain't the same. I've always used the JEM Cutter brand, but my sis sent me some from CK Products a few months ago...I can only use half of what the recipe calls for, or the sugarpaste tightens up into a ball that I can't even knead (had to knead in more egg white). Which is great now that I know, 'cause I only have to use half! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%