What Do You Use To Cover Your Cake Boards?

Decorating By GottaLuvCake Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 5:25am by jewelzbakescakes

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:45am
post #1 of 15

I have seen some really great cake board coverings, some that look like fancy wrapping paper. What is it??? I need to find something that doesn't get the grease marks after the buttercream touches it and soaks in. Foil is not an option, that just makes me cringe to think about it. Please give me some ideas. I have seen the fondant covered boards and they look really nice but i need other options. ??? birthday.gif

14 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 15

I have covered with scrapbook paper before and then cover wit contact paper over that , works great and if you want you can reuse them, (I don't often at all) because they wipe clean with some soapy water

GottaLuvCake Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:

THANKS I searched and could never bring up anything, now i feel dumb. I appreciate the links

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 15

I use only fondant.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 15

I ran out recently and had to come up with an alternative fast, since I had a cake due and there are no stores where I live that sell fanci foil or anything even remotely like it. I found a roll of freezer paper and it worked like a charm! It's bright white and coated on one side. The roll is huge and cost a fraction of the price of fanci foil. It's food grade and it doesn't cut or tear easily when the cake is being cut. I may never buy fanci foil again!

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 15

<--Is a part of a black vinyl Halloween tablecloth I found at Wal-Mart for less than $2. The cake was on its own board, so it didn't actually touch the table cloth directly. I've also used wrapping paper the same way. I can't find the off-white non-pattern paper I had been using anymore, so I have to find something new-I'm going to try the freezer paper idea. Thanks!

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks for posting GottaLuvCake! I normally use Wilton's cake boards that are pre-covered in nice foil, but it's getting costly. I do need an alternative.

Can I interject a related question, please? Do you worry about what the bottom of the board looks like? And, how many cake circles do you put together when making a cake board?

GottaLuvCake Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlashlee

Thanks for posting GottaLuvCake! I normally use Wilton's cake boards that are pre-covered in nice foil, but it's getting costly. I do need an alternative.

Can I interject a related question, please? Do you worry about what the bottom of the board looks like? And, how many cake circles do you put together when making a cake board?

I too had been using freezer paper but had noticed occasional grease spotting recently?? I just really love the look I have been seeing on pics in the gallery. Thanks everyone as i used the paper and food basket cellophane idea and i really like it.

To answer your question about the bottom of the cake boards I use white duck tape to cover the open edges of any paper or plastic that has been folded over. And I recently started using foamcore boards instead of the cardboard cake circles. Michaels had a 20x30 on sale for $1 it was the perfect size for my 1/2 sheet cake and since it was the 3/16" and cheap enough i cut it in half doubled it up before wrapping it for my cake.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:03am
post #10 of 15

I use freezer paper for every cake I do. For the underside, I just use clear tape and do not care what it looks like. If you turn it over and do look, it looks like a brown picture with a white mat. Make sense?

To make my own drums, I hot glue 2 or 3 cardboards together depending on the size/weight of my cake. Then I cover the cardboards with freezer paper. I use masonite a lot though. For wedding cakes (or other very large/heavy cakes) I use 1/2 inch plywood covered in freezer paper.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:08am
post #11 of 15

I often cover my boards in candy melts in a color that complements my cake, cheap, fast and easy.

jammjenks Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:18am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

I often cover my boards in candy melts in a color that complements my cake, cheap, fast and easy.

Patty, can you show us one? I've never heard of that.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:25am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:

In my pics, the board for the waterfall cake is done with blue candy melts and the teddy bear sitting on blocks is purple candy melts. I got the tip from one of the many cake decorating books I have.

jammjenks Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:36am
post #14 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:

In my pics, the board for the waterfall cake is done with blue candy melts and the teddy bear sitting on blocks is purple candy melts. I got the tip from one of the many cake decorating books I have.

How cool is that! icon_cool.gif

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:25am
post #15 of 15

I use either fondant or scrapbooking cardstock (when I use this I use saran wrap under the cake itself, but I trim and tuck it in so you can't see it).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%