Silver Fondant?

Decorating By Kake-Girl Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 5:33pm by grandmom

Kake-Girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kake-Girl Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 5

How can I color fondant silver? Someone wants a silver and black fondant covered cake and I can't remember how to get a silver color on the fondant. TIA

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:54am
post #2 of 5

Airbrush colors or you can dust black fondant with silver or pearl.

meri1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meri1028 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 5

Or if you don't have an airbrush, I've done white painted with silver luster dust. I should have done gray painted with the silver luster dust because the white took several coats to get the silver I wanted. Good luck!

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 5

I just needed silver for a cake last week. I tinted white fondat a very light grey (used a very, very small amount of black) and then dusted it with silver petal dust, worked perfectly.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 5

I am working on silver gumpaste right now, and I would think it would work the same on fondant. Well, actually I was going for a chrome look, but the principle is the same. I mixed three colors: pewter, nu silver and super pearl. Very nice effect.

I tinted white gumpaste a medium gray, then mixed luster dust with vodka and painted it on. I had to keep adding drops of vodka because it dried out quickly in the little pot.

I didn't feel like the painted on mixture had quite enough depth, so once dry, I brushed the same mixture of dry luster dusts over the items, and they turned out great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%