Why Do I Suck At Fondant?

Decorating By chanda Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 10:38pm by cabecakes

chanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanda Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 10

Well, wedding cake #2 with fondant. I used sps this time. I bake my bottom tier from scratch a carrot cake with cr cheese icing. Middle tier was box mix (did not like the scratch one I made). Top tier was carrot cake again. I filled and leveled them on Thursday and they stayed in the fridge because of the cream chees eicing. Saturday morning I let them come to room temp and applied satin ice fondant. the satin Ice looked terrible. It was gritty and immediately pulled down and cracked on the sides. I recovered the bottom tier with wilton fondant and it was lovely. I re covered the middle tier with satin ice and it was okay. I put long rolled out "snakes " of fondant on each tier. It would not stick!!! When I stacked the cake at the reception it was hot in there and the middle tier sank. It looked like the fondant bubbled way way out. The top tier sank, but I did not consider the weight of the flowers on th top tier and put supports under them after the sinkage!! The bottom tier was perfect. ugh. DO I simply have to use dummy cakes when people ask for fondant? DO the cakes have to be very dense with very thick heavy shortening based buttercream with fondant? I do not want to give up. The cake was almost beautiful and the flowers were great!!! I just do not understand why I can't do this and other people have no problems. DO you all make fondant with dummy cakes and make sheet cakes with yummy cake , frosting and fillings to serve?

9 replies
chanda Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 10

trying to post pictures. They are in "my photos," but I am trying to get them to show up on here!

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 10

Chandra-
Don't know where you are, but I teach a Basic Fondant class that can resolve your problems. Sometimes we just have to get help to work out the problems. If you're not convenient to me, look for a class (other than the Wilton class). If you're a hands on/visual kinda person, a class is the way to go.
Good luck!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 10

I make scratch cakes with IMBC, which is consdiered a soft butterceam and I cover them in MMF. I don't know why your having a hard time, but I will say this, practice makes perfect. You said it's only your second wedding cake covered in fondant so i wouldn't give up.

chanda Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 10

I am in Pittsburgh. I signed up to take a bunch of classes at the cake show in Cleveland coming up in January. I did not sign up for the basic fondant class, but I might look into changing classes!!!!! There are no classes around here besides Wilton. Thank you!!! I love my IMBC!! I do not want to give it up!! The American icings do not compare to me! I am not giving up yet!! I am addicted!!! icon_smile.gif

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 10

Have a go at using ganache under your fondant instead of BC. It sets hard and you can get it VERY smooth and then just brush it with a little simple syrup to help the fondant stick. It won't necessarily solve all your problems (as labellaflor said practice makes perfect) but I find it really quite easy and I'm just a beginner.
HTH
Emma

chanda Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 10

I did sign up for a fondant class in January!! Awesome!! Thanks everyone!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:59am
post #8 of 10

from what i have read on here, cream cheese frosting and fondant are not an easy mix.
cream cheese frosting also tends not to cope so well in the heat - shortening based bc will do much better.
the cakes do not need to be dense, as long as you have a good support system. but is your cake is too moist, it may not support the weight of the fondant.
xx

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:55am
post #9 of 10

I am also new but when I use cream cheese frosting I only use it as a filling and I ice the cake the same way you do when you have a fruit filling or anything that is softer. I pipe with butter cream around the edge of the cake and fill it with cream cheese frosting. Ice the cake with butter cream on the outside as well. That should hold up better and keep the cream cheese in place, plus you can give your cakes the flavors you want.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 10

I have read a lot of posts on here about people having trouble with the cream cheese icing as well. I agree with Adevag. I use only BC. Had trouble with my first cake, but I know from posts on here that I didn't let it rest long enough. My second cake turned out a lot better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%