Iso A Non-Crusting Buttercream Recipe

Baking By Trixyinaz Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 6:53pm by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 6

does anyone have a non-crusting buttercream recipe they would like to share? I cannot use any of the MERINGUE buttercreams as they contain eggs and my daughter has an egg allergy.

And just so I know, what makes a buttercream crust....is it the shortening and butter and PS ratios? Would love to know, then maybe I can just adjust my "crusting" recipe and make it "non-crusting"

Thanks in advance!

PS: ISO = In Search Of - took me forever to figure out what ISO meant on another board that I frequent...hehehe.

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:59am
post #2 of 6

Here you go:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1610/no-crust-buttercream-icing

Crusting is caused by evaporation in the top most layer of American b/c's. The high volume of powdered sugar to fat in these recipes allows this to occur.

HTH

HTH

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:43am
post #3 of 6

You can do crusting buttercream with no merengue powder and it still will crust. THe merengue powder is just a stabilizer.
Edna icon_smile.gif

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:36am
post #4 of 6

The owner of the bakery where I used to work told me that adding cornstarch will keep it from crusting, but I haven't tried it. Hope you find something!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:18am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronica

The owner of the bakery where I used to work told me that adding cornstarch will keep it from crusting, but I haven't tried it. Hope you find something!

Must depend on the recipe because I've made the following American b/c with cornstarch and it crusted just fine:

http://www.cakesbygeorge.com/recipes/Recipes/carolyn_lawrence.htm

HTH

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Jan and Edna! I'm gonna try that first recipe you posted Jan. I had a feeling it was the amount of PS that you use. I can't wait to try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%