What Is The Best Boxed Cake Mixes To Use?

Decorating By dreaknapp Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 1:53am by bakeyclacker

dreaknapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreaknapp Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 7

What is the best box cake mixes to use for carving or stacking cakes? Any recommendations? Is it better to make it from scratch? Thanks for your help!

6 replies
AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 7

A doctored mix works great. Search the recipe section for WASC.

mom2abc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2abc Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 7

Mmm... WASC!!!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 7

I Love Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker mixes when I'm short on time (which is ALWAYS with 2 little kids). I have found it carves well when frozen too. However, I do find that a homemade cake is much more dense and carves even better!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:33am
post #5 of 7

You know you could try to premake your own cake mixes. Put all the dry ingredients together just like the box. Zip it up in a baggie and your good to go!

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #6 of 7

I bake from scratch most of the time; but I keep box mixes on hand for those times I need a cake in a pinch! My favorite brand is Pillsbury (but my sister's favorite is Duncan Hines). When you have time, try a few and see what gets the best reviews. I like doctoring them up (i.e., adding a box of instant pudding, etc.). icon_wink.gif

bakeyclacker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeyclacker Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:53am
post #7 of 7

I've tried all of them, but regularly use pilsbury, because I think their Devil's Food cake turns out so much better than other brands. A word of warning: most white cakes out of a box (maybe because they lack the egg yolk) are supper crumbly if you have to carve them, and so light that they almost always need dowels for any size tier on top. They're just really light and airy. Always freeze them before carving (IMHO). I'm a fan of 'The Cake Doctor' book, which teaches great things to do with mixes. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%