Pregnant Daughter Passed Out While Driving!

Lounge By indydebi Updated 23 Jan 2007 , 1:12pm by SILVERCAT

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 17

I rec'd such a scary email this morning! My 28 year old daughter is due in May. While driving her 4-year old to daycare this morning, she felt "funny" and then started feeling worse. She pulled off of the interstate, onto the shoulder and was going to put the car in park. The next thing she knew, she woke up going about 15 mph in the breakdown lane! The 4 year old was asking "Mommy, what's the matter? Why are we driving slow?" She felt ok then and took the 4 year old to daycare and called her husband, in total hysterical tears. Hubby left his job to go to her. She said she was more upset because of what could have happened with her 4 year old in the car!!! She called the doctor and was told that this is common with pregnant women; she'd have to start eating breakfast before she left for work (instead of eating at work, like she usually does).

Thank God her guardian angel was putting in a little overtime today! She was on a 3-lane interstate when she pulled over. I don't even want to think about all of the coulda-woulda's that might have happened!

16 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 17

Oh my gosh, how scary! She truly did have a guardian angel today. I'm glad to hear everything is ok and it's nothing more serious than needing to eat breakfast. icon_smile.gif

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 17

OMG!! You are so right - her guardian angel and her son's guardian angel were working overtime that day!! I firmly believe in guardian angels (it's Biblical) as I don't think my 23 year-old DD would be here today without hers!! There is a reason Dr's say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I hope your DD follows Dr's orders and eats hers before leaving home from now on!!! Praise God everything is okay!!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 17

OMG- thank goodness she is ok!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 17

indydebi, I am so glad to hear that everything is okay with your daughter and her family. She is very lucky!

indydebi Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 17

I rec'd a second email from her. My son-in-law, who is a GREAT husband and father, isn't the kind to tell her what to do. But she (and we!) are pretty sure that is going to change. Daughter says "you don't have to tell me to listen to (hubby) ..... I WILL!" She said she couldn't have been out very long because her 4-year old will scream "MOM! ANSWER ME!" if she doesn't answer right away and the 4-year old wasn't in screaming mode yet!

The least of our concerns was her car but somehow she managed to not scrape it against the wall. It's possible if she had bumped the wall, it may have spun her out into traffic onto the interstate.

I could make myself crazy thinking of what could have happened. I've never known anyone who just passed out while pregnant and was surprised to learn it was pretty common. We are all VERY thankful!

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 17

Wow, isn't God awesome? Praise God that your DD and GS are o.k. They certainly did have guardian angels watching over them. The whole things gives me chill bumps just thinking about it. I am so glad everything turned out o.k.

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 17 Jan 2007 , 4:00am
post #8 of 17

Thank God that it was nothing serious and that she and her 4 year old are okay. It must have been a big scare. Hopefully the rest of her pregnancy will be uneventful.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 17 Jan 2007 , 8:58am
post #9 of 17

When I read the heading I was so scared for you. I am so glad they are all ok. I am a bad one for not eating inthe morning. No I am not pregnant but I do have problems lately in the morning with dizziness. So I will take that to heart now to pay attention. I wouldn't like to pass out when driving DD to school.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 17 Jan 2007 , 7:27pm
post #10 of 17

That's scary! My sister has had those types of feelings when pregnant and has almost passed out while driving. Not so much with her current pregnancy, but with the first. She often had to lie down at work to keep from feeling faint and lightheaded.

Hope you're daughter can maybe catch a ride next time! Maybe carpool or work something out with friends/neighbors/hubby so she doesn't have to drive. It's not worth the risk!

Take care,
Wendy

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 17

OMG, I am so glad she is ok. Please tell her not to feel bad, she is not alone.
This happened to me when I was 3 months pregnant with my daughter and had an hour and a half commute to my office at the time. I was feeling very VERY tired suddenly and a litte woozy, but unfortunately no place to pull over, nowhere to go in the middle of traffic. I ended up passing out behind the wheel and hitting the car in front of me. Luckily I was only doing about 10 mph, but it was enough that it shattered the windshield and the car was technically totaled. I was so scared, same thing as your daughter, I only was out for a minute but that's all it takes. I was fine, baby was fine, person in front car was fine, but it really was a bad scare. Also I felt so embarrassed, I had NEVER been in an accident before and am a very careful driver!
The emergency techs said same thing to me, it happens a LOT more than people think, because especially in the first trimester your hormones are so out of whack and you are sometimes overcome with fatigue, dizziness, nausea or what have you.
At any rate, thankfully she had her guardian angel looking out, and she and her children are ok thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 17

ladyofcake, what a terrible experience! I am SO glad all turned out ok. She was a little gun-shy the next day, when she was heading to daycare and to work, but is doing great.

Thanks to all for your well-wishes and words of comfort!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 1:32am
post #13 of 17

I passed out a few times with each of my pregnancies. It is unfortunantly very common. It got to where I was scared to drive. The moment I would feel woozy I would have to pull over. I wish your daughter the best and congrats to the soon to be again grandma!

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:12pm
post #14 of 17

My sister has this condition and it is called vaso vagal syncopy. Ever since I can remember, she would pass out all the time. If she got hurt, standing in church, the school play, etc....

Then when she got pregnant a few years ago, it only got worse. She taught 7th and 8th grade and one day she passed out in the middle of class while standing and teaching. Students ran to get another teacher and they called 911 and an ambulance came to get her.

The baby was fine and she was fine, just very shaken. She said she never even felt it coming on. Her husband and her doctor advised her to quit teaching because these episodes were happening more often.

She has been advised against having any more children since she has severe and frequent episodes, but they are in the process of adopting and are extremely excited.

I never knew her condition had a name....we just thought as kids that she was the "sickly" one.

The latest episode happened at my youngest sister's wedding. Four of us sisters were standing up on the altar, when Colleen starting fainting. We got her to the first pew where she proceeded to try to lay on the floor. My uncle was helping her when her "fake" hair started slipping. The look on his face was PRICELESS!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif We still laugh about that one!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

XoGuitarChefoX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
XoGuitarChefoX Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 10:26pm
post #15 of 17

thats scary! my bro(17) fell asleep and went through two front yards, passed a tree, into a parking lot and was parked perfectly between a mercedes and a cadalac! he only had a few scrapes, but he lost his car! he truly had a guardian angel with him! but he has a new car now and he can take me to school noW! yea!
natalee

Alison01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alison01 Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 1:05am
post #16 of 17

Wow! That's so scary! But I'm very glad she is ok. Her gardian angel was definitely watching over her. I didn't have this, but I had low blood sugar while I was pregnant. I would start seeing spots and almost pass out. I never actually did, but as soon as I saw spots and felt weak, I would sit down, lay down, or pull over on the side of the road. They also told me to make SURE I ate breakfast every morning with protein in it! (I was bad for eating non protein breakfasts!

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 1:12pm
post #17 of 17

OMG, I am glad to hear they are both okay. Safe and sound! I have to say I had almost the samething happen to me when I was preggers with my first. I had to call my hubby and he had to call 911 bc I didnt feel so good. I got dizzy and cold and sweaty and this was in the summer in an AC car. The drs at the ER couldnt figure out what happened to me, but my OB told me that the baby had cut off the blood and oxygen to my brain! So from that point on I was to eat every morning before I got behind the wheel of the car. I did have it happen to me several other times before I had my baby. My dr did tell me when I felt it coming on I was to lay on my left side so that would make the baby shift around and would release the blood and oxygen back to my brain! SO if she has this happen again she should try laying on her left side! I hope that this doesn't happen to her again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%