Is It Possible To Make A 3-Layer 11X15 Cake?

Decorating By Kbbaby Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 11:07am by Kbbaby

Kbbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kbbaby Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 7

A friend wants me to make a 3-layer 11x15 inch cake and I'm not quite sure how to tackle it. A 2-layer 11x15 is quite massive already. I think making the layers thinner would make it harder to stack them. The idea is she wants one layer to be chocolate, one to be red velvet, and one to be white cake. Any ideas would be a great help! Thanks! icon_confused.gif

6 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 7

Make sure to turn out each layer on a separate board from your cake pan, so you can slide each one into place. That is the only way I can see how to prevent the layers from breaking. That's gonna be one HEAVY cake! Do you have lifting help?

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 7

I make 3-layer 11x15 and 12x18 cakes. I just bake the layers thin then freeze them. If I'm decorating the cake in the evening, I will pull them out of the freezer in the morning and immediately fill, stack and crumb coat them. I then wrap the cake well with plastic and leave it out until the evening, when I apply the final icing and start decorating. Works like a charm.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 7

Be sure to level each layer or you'll crack/split the top layer on the "mound"

Kbbaby Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 7

I like the idea of freezing the layers. Would I level those before I freeze them?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 7

cold cake cuts easier then warm or room temp/crumbly cake. I can not cut frozen cake straight but many here do.

Kbbaby Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:07am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for your help! I know what I am going to do now. And sadsmile, I like the idea about levelling the cake when it is cold. I've tried too early before when the cake was too warm and I usually end up cutting myself when I try to level frozen cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%