Painting On Royal Icing (Making Ladybugs)

Decorating By MalibuBakinBarbie Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 11:13pm by MalibuBakinBarbie

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 7

Hi ~ I am working on my SIL's baby shower cake for this Saturday. I made gumpaste ladybugs, but they just don't look right to me. icon_confused.gif Not "cute" enough. (I couldn't find the right size round cutter, so I expected this I suppose.) So I made a batch of royal icing this morning and am trying again. I have the body and the heads done; and I am about as satisfied as I think I'm going to be at this point. They'll be cute, I think. icon_rolleyes.gif

My question is, for the spots on the wings, can I use straight gel paste color and just dot it on?

I don't want to use black RI because I don't want the added little "bumps" that would make. I do have coal black petal dust, but I'm afraid if I add extract to it and put it on the RI, it might result in breaking down the RI.

Thank you all for your help! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 7

SugarLover3,
I 1st used straight gel paste for painting but i could never it it to dry and it was always tacky. I now use airbrush coloring and it paints on a lot like water color. Use could also use FDA approved markers. I bought some about a week ago and really like them for detailed stuff.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 7

Okay... I think I answered my question. The paste is not totally drying on the wings that I tested. icon_sad.gif

So I guess my question would now be: Are there any alternatives to petal dust/extract?

Thank you.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 7

Food markers! Yes!!!! Thank you so much for your advice and well wishes, MrCake01!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 7

ive done it. For me, i just did it in layers as to not break down the RI. so if you have the time, just do 1 layer let it dry ect until its the shade you want HTH

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 7

I just use red m&ms or skittles and paint on them with americolor gels straight out of the bottle......they dry in about 5-10 min. (the wilton never seem to dry though)

HTH
LL
LL

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you both very much for your suggestions! I sincerely appreciate your assistance. thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead, I *ADORE* your M&M ladybugs! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%