Wilton Fondant Class Complaint

Decorating By firelegs Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 7:27pm by LadybugCakes

firelegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firelegs Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 28

I had my first Fondant & GP class tonight. I completed course 1 & 2 in another state (just moved last month). My new instructor was so incredibly rude to me for never have taken HER classes, even after I explained that I had moved here. She refused to show me how to cover a cake with fondant, even though its part of the course, just because she's a firm believer that you have to take the courses in order (lo and behold my syllabus says course 1 is the only requirement). She mocked me the entire class, saying things like "well, I'm sure your instructor didn't teach you this" or "I'm sure you don't know this and that's because you skipped a course". This lady spent half the class complaining about how much work the classes are - however, she didn't bring one tool with her to class. She had no supplies at all, there was not one demonstration.

I am so mad / frustrated / totally ticked at this womans snooty comments that I don't even want to go back.

I don't know anyone besides DH in this state, and thought it would be fun to continue cake classes and possibly meet new people in the area - that turned out to be one big headache!

27 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 28

I know that's not the way it should be, so please, take the time to call the store and lodge a formal complaint.

I don't know what got her panties so twisted that she felt compelled to take it out on you, but she should be disciplined--severely icon_eek.gif

I'd demand my $ back so that I could take the course at another store and I'd call Wilton HQ and ask how to lodge a formal complaint with them.

Wilton Customer Service
Wilton Industries
2240 W. 75th St.
Woodridge, IL 60517
Phone: 630-963-1818 or 800-794-5866
Fax: 630-963-7196 or 888-824-9520
Email: [email protected]

Good Luck!
Rae

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #3 of 28

Ya know as snippy as she is I might call her out!

I know that's not the 'adult' thing to do. But I'm paying to learn something- not be treated like a moron. I'd probably pull her aside after class and say something...if it wasn't resolved. I'd speak to the coordinator and let her know you'd like a refund and attend class at another store.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:27am
post #4 of 28

Is this thru a college? Then complain to her department head.

If not, then complain directly to Wilton. She has to be certified to teach their stuff by THEM, not just the school where she's teaching. If she's not following the cirriculum, they need to know.

And as for her denegrading you in class, you have three choices - (1) sit quiet and take it until the course is over; (2) quit; or (3) put on your 'big girl panties' and tell her that you paid for the course, which includes covering a cake in fondant, and she should stop picking on you in front of the class. (If you choose (3), do it privately, not in front of the class - you don't want to sink to her level.)

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:32am
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I know that's not the way it should be, so please, take the time to call the store and lodge a formal complaint.

I don't know what got her panties so twisted that she felt compelled to take it out on you, but she should be disciplined--severely icon_eek.gif

I'd demand my $ back so that I could take the course at another store and I'd call Wilton HQ and ask how to lodge a formal complaint with them.

Wilton Customer Service
Wilton Industries
2240 W. 75th St.
Woodridge, IL 60517

Good Luck!
Rae

Ditto!

2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:32am
post #6 of 28

Wow...I am so sorry that you had to go through that. Being professional means that you are just that Professional. I would make a complaint so that maybe you can go elsewhere and finish your classes and then confront her. Some people lack confidence or is it human relation skills. I'd tell her how she made you feel or at least how it came across to you. Maybe she didnt realize how she came across (I am being nice) so it is only fair to share your thoughts with her. I am sure the class is not too thrilled with her either. But don't give up and Enjoy your classes whether they were or are with her or not.
Welcome to CC.

firelegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firelegs Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #7 of 28

Thanks for the replies and support. I'm really thinking about doing a formal complaint. I am just fuming - I loved my other cake courses. Funny thing is, last week I had a bad feeling about this, and even told DH I was thinking about cancelling - guess I should listen to my gut more often!

Thanks agian - I really appreciate the advice!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:39am
post #8 of 28

thats BS ask for a refund and go somewhere else for classes........then tell her what she can do with her fondant.......

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:43am
post #9 of 28

So sorry you had that experience.

I would definitely complain to the location the classes are held at and Wilton.

Regardless if she was having a off or BAD day she has to know that not everyone is a professional cake decorator and the whole reason of them being there was/is to learn!

I would put this complaint in writing and make sure that you ask for a full refund.

What she did was unacceptable on any level. As far as approaching her... me personally, I am the type that would not let it slide, but by the sounds of it may just make matters worse.

Address your concerns with the store or location of your classes and Wilton's directly.

Not all Wilton instructors are bad, just unfortunate that you got someone who was rude and belittling.

Hope you have better luck next time around and dont let it sour you for any future classes you may wish to attend.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:50am
post #10 of 28

I am so sorry that you were subjected to this type of treatment in a Wilton class. If this class is being taught through a store you should immediately contact the manager and advise him/her of the treatment by the instructor. Contrary to what one person stated Wilton instructors are not "certified" however, they are teaching the Wilton Method and should be professional and courteous. They also reflect the attitude that is given to the customers (of which you are one) of the store. If this is a college then I would report this to the head of the department as this person has no business teaching is she conducts herself in this manner. Whether she taught you the other classes or not you have taken the pre-required class as stated by Wilton and if she needs to give you a little extra attention she should do so. That is what she is there for. Do not let her make you feel as though you are at fault because she has to do a little extra work and feels put out!!!! thumbs_up.gif
evelyn

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 28

I'm a Wilton instructor and know that what you experienced is not only uncalled for, but so against Wilton policy! BlakesCakes gave you good advice. However, each of us instructors has a supervisor who we answer to. If you call Wilton customer service, you might want to ask who the supervisor for your geographical area is and that person's number or email. I'm not sure if you're able to talk to the supervisors directly, but she may be able to address the problem better if you're are. So sorry you had such a bad experience.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 28

I had a similar problem with a Wilton instructor. I complained to the store manager (Michael's Arts & Crafts) and they gave me the supervisors name and direct phone number. I received a complete refund from the store and an apology from Wilton. In my case the instructor did not need a formal diciplinary action taken but in your case she most certainly does and should be fired.

Good Luck!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:08pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Wilton Customer Service
Wilton Industries
2240 W. 75th St.
Woodridge, IL 60517

Good Luck!
Rae

Ditto this, word for word.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 28

As a WMI, I hate to hear this. You need to report this person's behavior, not only to Wilton, but to the store you took the class from. I would ask to speak to the manager or assitant manager and explain to them what the instructor and demand your money back.

If people do not report bad instructors Wilton, and often the store will never know about it.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:25pm
post #15 of 28

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=oZHO2ta9GV_2f7VFwzAdiovg_3d_3d

Here's the link to the Wilton Student Survey.

Let them know in writing exactly how this teacher is.

Teachers like this frustrate me.

Quote:
Quote:

she didn't bring one tool with her to class. She had no supplies at all, there was not one demonstration.

For C1 & C2 I don't bring my own frosting because I need to work with what my students have so I can help them get their consistency down.

For C3 and FGP I always bring my toys to share that way they can try them before they buy them so they can see what they like/don't like first.

Sorry you don't live closer I'd let you come sign up and play with me and my cake toys (that's how I approach my classes... we play with cake and happen to learn along the way).

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:49pm
post #16 of 28

Please report her, otherwise this will happen to others. I took the Wilton class when it was only one class, so when I started to get back into decorating again, I went directly into the FGP class. My instructor was wonderful. I then skipped course 1 and went into 2 & 3 to learn things that weren't taught in the early 80's and refresh other things I learned.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:53pm
post #17 of 28

Also, as a WMI, I cannot believe this behavior and am embarressed for her.

Just to clarify, the Courses do not need to be taken in order. Course 1 is a prereq. for all of the other Courses. Each Course has it's own medium to learn and totally different set of skills to learn. Fondant and Gum Paste is mostly considered a project class and does not need Course 3. The laying of the Fondant onto the cake is demonstrated in both Course 3 and Fondant and GP. Also, she should have her tools as there is plenty for her to demonstrate in this Course. (unlike in C1 or C2 where the instructor uses the students tools so they may test the consistancy to ensure they are correct)

I def. would suggest to contact Wilton and the Store GM and pick up the Course at a dif. location. So sorry to hear your aweful experience. She should def. be fired.

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:59am
post #18 of 28

Even if you had already been taught fondant previously does that mean you are no longer entitled to learn it again. I've learned fondant and gumpaste from many different teachers which is always beneficial cause you pick up different tips from all because not everyone does it the same. I hope things turn for the better in this situation but maybe your instructor is burnt out. I don't understand how anyone could have such a bad attitude with such a sweet job! icon_smile.gif

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #19 of 28

You definitely need to report her to her Supervisor at Wilton. That is not acceptable behavior for any teacher. If she felt that she wanted people to go through classes with her from C1 to F&GP, then she should state that in her ads (which we know that she cannot do since C1 is the only requisite). I would ask for a refund and take the class somewhere else.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:47pm
post #20 of 28

Firelegs,

Hi, i'm sorry that this woman was rude to you, there is absolutely no excuse for rudeness. Being polite cost no one anything.

I do agree with everyone else, report her to the store and to wilton. They will deal with her, ask for a refund and check out the next store for classes. IF you go to another store make sure to check out who is teaching the course, as many teachers have more then one store.

And BTW: now you can say you know two people in NY icon_smile.gif although i'm about 3 hours away from you.

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm
post #21 of 28

So sorry to hear abot this. I'm a Wilton Instructor here in TX and was appauled when I read this post. Every single class I have, I ALWAYS bring supplies in. Does'nt matter if I'm supposed to or not. I always come prepared and ready for whatever may happen. Just last night in class, one student forgot her tip 104 and another forgot her flower nail. I had one of each on hand and they were able to practice everything.

These classes are meant to be FUN and educating for all who are involved. I try to make the time in class easy going, full of knowledge and an all around good time for my students. I think you got an nstructor who was just ticked off for some reason and thought that she was better than everyone else. SHE NEEDS TO BE REPORTED to Wilton and the store. Things like this should not happen at all. I hope things have turned out well for you in all of this.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #22 of 28

Awww...that's terrible. I feel awful for you. I'm also a Wilton instructor and I can not even fathom someone being rude like that. As everyone else said, get your money back, talk to the supervisor, and go find another place to take the class.

gabitusm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabitusm Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:22pm
post #23 of 28

I just want to say that I took the Wilton classes, and I have nothing but great things to say about my instructors. They were the best!!

I hate that you had a bad experience. icon_sad.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:05pm
post #24 of 28

I've been a Wilton instructor for 12 years and have heard many things - but her behavior tops it all.

Definitely send an email or make a phone call to Wilton as well as let the store manager know.

In FGP, Lesson 1, she should have demonstrated kneading, coloring, and rolling out fondant, as well as covering the cake drum. In addition to be treated so poorly, you were ripped off! Be sure to report that too.

Unfortunately, there is no "certification" of Wilton instructors. It seems that if you can do a cake and breathe, you are qualified to teach. It's pretty sad.

AmandaGudi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaGudi Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:05pm
post #25 of 28

I recently took a Wilton class as well at Joann Fabrics and had SEVERAL problems with it. One being they cancelled our class and then gave the time slot away to another class and then registered us for that one instead. AFTER we had already bought all the supplies for the first one. It was a gigantic horrible mess. And then we got to the class (the wrong one that we decided to give a try to anyway and bought a NEW SET of supplies for) and the teacher was the same way. A bit rude and did not bring ONE SINGLE tool or item to class. Also, when she would demonstrate things she would look at the book and read the directions in order for herself to demonstrate (as in she didnt know how to do it so she was quickly reading it to herself to learn). There were several times that the students had to correct her about how to do things that were in the book. She would let us out of class 45 minutes early thinking that we would be excited to get out of class early...why would we want to get out early? We paid for the whole time! It was just a HORRIBLE experience. We called Wilton and complained and they really couldn't have cared less. Very disappointing overall.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:18pm
post #26 of 28

Major DITTO to what Blakes Cakes said. I would ask for a full refund. This person does not represent Wilton Industries well AT ALL. Stand your ground and file a complaint with the place where you are taking the course and definitely with Wilton so they can take disciplinary action.
Caking is supposed to be fun.

cjford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjford Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm
post #27 of 28

AmandaGudi, I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience when contacting Wilton. I started but didn't finish course 1 because the instructor was HORRIBLE. I signed up at another location and this instructor is WONDERFUL. I wasn't going to worry about reporting the other instructor but after reading this post, I decided to call. The rep was very concerned and nice. She said someone would look into it and asked if I wanted a supervisor to call me back. Maybe you should try calling again.

LadybugCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadybugCakes Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:27pm
post #28 of 28

I am so sorry for all the bad experiences, I know I am jumping in late, but I am a WMI too and was appalled at this. I almost always take all relevant supplies to class, there may have been 1 or 2 times I did not because all the students were doing was assembling a cake. I try to make classes as fun as possible, because if it is not then I have wasted their time and their money. The reason I bring my supplies is the same as another who posted here, someone may forget theirs, and when I was taking the classes I was working 3 jobs AND donating plasma so I could afford the classes without putting a strain on our budget, so I know how hard times can get. I will admit there have been times when I have had to read from the book, to insure we are all on the same page, and there have been times we got done early, but I asked if there was anything they needed to go over or if they felt I had missed something, sometimes my students are just that good. If you have had a bad experience, talk to the store manager and ask for a supervisors number, they should give it to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%