Large Silicone Mat

Business By bethasd Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 12:44pm by loulou2

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 10

Can anyone recommend a LARGE (at least 30"x36") silicone mat for rolling fondant? I am hoping to get my home kitchen licensed and think this will help. Thanks!

9 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 10

I use a large piece of vinyl that I bought cheap at Joanne's (or any fabric store).
It is heavy weight, cleans up easy and I can put my wilton sizing mat under it and nothing slides. I bought a yard for like $4 (and it is 52 inches wide) HTH

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 10

I was going to recommend the vinyl too icon_biggrin.gif

I have some smaller silicone mats and they're not nearly as nonstick as the vinyl.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I have some smaller silicone mats and they're not nearly as nonstick as the vinyl.

Hi folks, I love your idea, but I thought I would throw this out there: I don't think Vinyl would be considered food-safe. Don't want you to get docked for something like that. Try using maybe a food-grade plastic or just investing in a large silicon mat. I got one your size, approx 30X36" for about $45. It is wonderful... just dont use a pizza wheel or knife on it.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 10

This is the one I use (Ateco brand) and I love it. I see that it is currently out of stock but if you google it, there are other sites that sell this same one.

https://www.atecousa.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Category_Code=fondt&Product_Code=698

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Hi folks, I love your idea, but I thought I would throw this out there: I don't think Vinyl would be considered food-safe. Don't want you to get docked for something like that. Try using maybe a food-grade plastic or just investing in a large silicon mat. I got one your size, approx 30X36" for about $45. It is wonderful... just dont use a pizza wheel or knife on it.

The vinyl that we're talking about is the same vinyl that's used for restaurant tablecloths.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 10

I bought a Ateco matt at the ICES Convention this year. I'm not sure how wide it is, but I know it is atleast 3ft long. It is a blue one. They were rolling fondant on it as well as using it for working with sugar.

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the input everyone! I've seen the Ateco blue one which I think would be my default but was hoping for something a little bigger. loriana - what brand do you have/where did you get it? As for the vinyl, does it have that felted backing? Wouldn't that slide around? I must be thinking of the wrong stuff but will definitely head to Joann's to check it out. Maybe I could get a little extra for a Halloween costume lol! icon_surprised.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:41pm
post #9 of 10

the vinyl I use is clear that is why I can see my wilton mat thru it. I lay it on my kitchen table or counter top and it does not move at all. When you first buy it, wash it down really well with a small amount of bleach and hot water.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:44pm
post #10 of 10

I think they are refering to the clear vinyl, not he actual tablecloth material.
the clear comes in several thicknesses & I know Hobby Lobby sells it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%