What's Under The Ganache??

Decorating By cadgurl07 Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 6:19pm by cadgurl07

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 10

I want to try making mini 2" x 2" x 2" cakes. I've read alot on here and from my experience of making 4" round cakes putting BC on them seems like I'd be asking for a very long night and a headache. I saw some put ganache on them. I have a couple of recipes some for hardening and other's for a smoother filling. My question is, do you put the ganache right over the bare, filled cake or do I still have to put the BC under it?

9 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 10

ganache goes right on the naked cake, no bc under it

cadgurl07 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 10

awesome, Thanks!!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 10

I use whipped ganache under poured to get a smooth surface.

stephanie

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 10

I always put buttercream (chocolate or vanilla, whatever you prefer) under a poured ganache. It makes a smoother look. When you pour ganache over a naked cake if sits in all the little nooks and crannies of your cake and you would probably need two coats to get a smooth finish.

cadgurl07 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 10

hmmm...so maybe a thin or crumb coat before the ganache then, to fill in the nooks and crannies??

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 10

I suggest you put a smooth layer of buttercream or spreadable ganache before pouring your ganache for an even finish. Check this blog out:

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-orleans-doberge-cake.html

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 10

if you use a harder, spreading type ganache, you don't put bc under it, you will have a mess. I don't even do it with a pourable ganache, there I do 2 coats, first one settles in the imperfections etc. To me, the reason why so many people love ganache, is that it is not so sweet. Putting bc underneath defeats the whole purpose, IMHO

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 10

I almost always put buttercream underneath my dark chocolate ganache. I love chocolate cream cheese buttercream with dark or bittersweet ganache. I think the creaminess of the buttercream is a good match with the DARK chocolate. I don't use milk chocolate, so I couldn't speak for that.

White chocolate ganache is another story - I wouldn't put anything underneath it, but would do two layers as mentioned earlier.

cadgurl07 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 10

wow, such a variation. I think since they are going to be such small cakes I'll be using a poured version. I'm doing a lemon cake with raspberry filling and white chocolate ganache so maybe the 2 coats will do. I'm hoping to get to these sometime this week or weekend. Thank you all for your input!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%