Wedding Cookie Display

Decorating By Jeannem Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 5:11pm by OregonCakeLady

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:30pm
post #31 of 44

You could put different size boxes under a tablecloth secure box to table with duck tape. Then you have a ton of options on how to display the cookies and other wedding things to really tie it all together.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:49pm
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

Oh, they're not planning on serving the cake--it's just for pictures. Really no different than renting a display cake and serving slab cake from the back..

I don't like doing sheet cakes for weddings, so that argument doesn't convince me! I don't think I like the cookie-as-dessert idea either, because of the weirdness of cutting a cake then expecting everyone to eat a cookie instead of having a piece of cake. It doesn't seem to "flow" right to me. I've done bagged cookies for favors before, and they put them all out on a table or in baskets for people to get as they leave, but that wouldn't work if you intend people to eat them when the cake is cut.

If you want to go ahead with the cookie dessert, you might want to wait until the cake is being cut and then serve the cookies to each table on trays, or put them in bags at each place setting with a tag that says something to indicate that the cookies should be saved to eat after the cake-cutting ceremony. Maybe something like "An individual cake for you to eat when the bride and groom cut their cake." I still don't know if I like the idea or not, but that would be one way to present it.

If you serve them at the end of the buffet line, I can assure you that they'll all be eaten by the time the cake is cut, then everyone will be sitting there waiting for cake, too.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:22am
post #33 of 44

They are NOT cutting the stupid cake!! It's just for pictures. There is nothing to wait for--it's obvious there is not enough cake for everyone, so no one should be expecting cake!!

Thank you very much babyc1985--that is just the idea I was looking for..

I think some of you need to try different things--cookies instead of cake--it's not such a stretch!! Even Martha didn't approve of cupcakes at one time, and now they're very popular since she featured them in her magazine.

costumeczar Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:49pm
post #34 of 44
Quote:

They are NOT cutting the stupid cake!! It's just for pictures. There is nothing to wait for--it's obvious there is not enough cake for everyone, so no one should be expecting cake!!

I think some of you need to try different things--cookies instead of cake--it's not such a stretch!! Even Martha didn't approve of cupcakes at one time, and now they're very popular since she featured them in her magazine.

Martha sucks, so I don't care what she puts in her magazine. And I apologize if my suggestion of possible ways to serve them was so offensive.

I still think that if you have a cake at the reception, there will be people thinking that they're getting cake. Regardless of how big it is.

I just think that the cookie-instead-of-cake dessert could be awkward, but have fun with it if that's what the bride wants to do. I just hope that she's prepared to have people talking about how weird it was for years after the fact.

tatorchip Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:02pm
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Martha sucks, so I don't care what she puts in her magazine. And I apologize if my suggestion of possible ways to serve them was so offensive.

I still think that if you have a cake at the reception, there will be people thinking that they're getting cake. Regardless of how big it is.

I just think that the cookie-instead-of-cake dessert could be awkward, but have fun with it if that's what the bride wants to do. I just hope that she's prepared to have people talking about how weird it was for years after the fact.

I agree, sorry if I didn't help but at least I tried. I liked your idea costumeczar

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:34pm
post #36 of 44

It REALLy is the brides choice. We don't have the reason why she wants a cookie. With brides going off the traditional banner and doing things to reflect them, honor that. Last I knew we made cakes and cookies not the etiquette police. To each his own. I praise the bride for thinking of each guest as an individual.

I like Babyc's ideas and want to thank her for looking something up to help the OP find a solution. I like the ideas.

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:42pm
post #37 of 44

As for the concern of the cookies being eatten during the reception, a bride did cookies instead of cake at the reception hall that I work at. They pre-plated all of the cookies, one plate for each table, and kept them on a rack in the kitchen until it was time for them to have dessert. Is these somewhere that the cookies could be kept and brought out by the catering staff when they are ready for them?

If this wouldn't work, you could nicely wrap the plates and put a note on them "Please wait to enjoy with the Bride & Groom" and have the DJ make an announcement when they can start eatting the cookies.

Good luck!

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:03pm
post #38 of 44

I'm sure she's totally distraught now that she has 250 cookies to make and the advice she has gotten is that the whole idea is tacky, even if it was the paying Brides idea. If the Bride wants cookies, the bride get's cookies. The cake/cookie baker is not the one that will have to explain why there is not enough cake. Bakem, deliver and set them up and let the bride or her family do the explaining.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:04pm
post #39 of 44

I like the idea of displaying the cookies in the shape of a main cake........I would say that would DEFINITELY get the idea across that the cookies are in lieu of an actual cake.

I've seen cookies trees and things that are sort of a pyramid tiered cake shape. What about stacking up plates with a central pillar and then tape or attach with ribbon somehow bagged cookies all around the edges.

I would think everyone would catch the drift that it IS the "wedding cake"

maybe have a little sign if people are a little on the dense side?

Wonder if it's possible to just have someone serve the cookies at the end on trays.
I do like the little "individual cake for you" idea as long as the cookies are in the shape of a cake.

costumeczar Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:23pm
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I would think everyone would catch the drift that it IS the "wedding cake"

maybe have a little sign if people are a little on the dense side?

"If" they're on the dense side? icon_wink.gif Never underestimate the denseness of people! I've heard of plenty of cupcake receptions where the cupcakes were all stacked up in a cake-shaped display, and plenty were picked off and eaten WAY before the "cake" was cut!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:24pm
post #41 of 44

lol....well, maybe they should put out a sign for sure then!!! :0

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:11pm
post #42 of 44

Could you put different sizes and heights of boxes, books, or something to give diffenent heights. Cover the foundation with tablecloths, sit different trays on them then lay out the cookies for the guests. This would work if it is a table by itself or a dessert table.

My SIL made me different shapes and heights of wooden boxes just for displaying food at different heights on tables. I cover them with material or tablecloths.

tatorchip Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

You could put different size boxes under a tablecloth secure box to table with duck tape. Then you have a ton of options on how to display the cookies and other wedding things to really tie it all together.

I agree lol (pinch you touch blue)

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:11pm
post #44 of 44

I agree with Bella-
I did a wedding where I only made a cake to serve 50. so there was a small cake and cup cakes that the family made (not so pretty). Soooooo the guests see the bride and groom cutting and serving to special guests (family and close friends and bridal party) this beautiful cake that I made and they are all waiting in line to get a piece of this cake. I felt so tacky telling them that I couldn't give them any cake until the family and the bridal party had been served but they were welcome to some lame cup cakes. I felt like I was saying, "sorry your not important enough to get a piece of the wedding cake, go shove a cup cake in your face."
It was tacky thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%