Does Anyone Know?

Decorating By daddysgrl314 Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 8:29am by my_4_dumplins

daddysgrl314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daddysgrl314 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:11am
post #1 of 9

does anyone know how many pounds this recipe yeilds?

16 oz white marshmallows
2 tb water
2 lb icing sugar

it is the stardard mmf recipe

8 replies
JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:31am
post #2 of 9

I've never weighted it but I think it's around 2.5 - 3 lbs.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 8:37am
post #3 of 9

I believe that the 16 oz white marshmallows would be 1 lb, not 2 cups, right? In other words, it is a 1 lb. package, not 2 cups.

If so, I don't see why it wouldn't be just about exactly 3 lb. (Maybe a smidge more because of the water or a smidge less, because some sticks to the bowl, beater, etc.)

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 9

[quote="redpanda"]I believe that the 16 oz white marshmallows would be 1 lb, not 2 cups, right? In other words, it is a 1 lb. package, not 2 cups.
quote]

2 cups is equal to 16 oz

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 9

2 cups = 16 oz in VOLUME, not weight, necessarily.

Remember the ancient riddle - "Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?"

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 9

Typical yield of recipe once made has been around 2.5 lbs for me as well. icon_smile.gif

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:26am
post #7 of 9

[quote="myslady"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

I believe that the 16 oz white marshmallows would be 1 lb, not 2 cups, right? In other words, it is a 1 lb. package, not 2 cups.
quote]

2 cups is equal to 16 oz

Only if marshmallows are the same density as water. (16 oz. volume of water weighs 16 ounces/ 1 pound) Since marshmallows are light and fluffy, they are likely much less dense than water.

Based on the cup of cocoa here on my desk, I'd say that the nicely floating 'shmallows have a fairly low density.

icon_biggrin.gif

sleepy33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepy33 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:09am
post #8 of 9

Maybe it's just because it's waaay late (or way early), but this thread totally reminded me of that scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where they are trying to figure out how to tell if the old lady is a witch or not. And they say that witches burn because they are made of wood, and wood floats, and so do ducks, and so if the old lady weighs the same as a duck, then she's a witch. And also something about the average air-speed velocity of an unladen African swallow. Probably just me being a dork. icon_smile.gif

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:29am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy33

Maybe it's just because it's waaay late (or way early), but this thread totally reminded me of that scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where they are trying to figure out how to tell if the old lady is a witch or not. And they say that witches burn because they are made of wood, and wood floats, and so do ducks, and so if the old lady weighs the same as a duck, then she's a witch. And also something about the average air-speed velocity of an unladen African swallow. Probably just me being a dork. icon_smile.gif

too funny! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%