How To Do The Middle Of A Lotus Flower?

Decorating By adree313 Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 8:05pm by Shonao

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 4

i want to attempt a lotus flower from gum paste, but how would you go about doing the whole middle of the flower? (sorry, i don't know correct terminology icon_redface.gif )
LL

3 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 4

That whole middle area looks like royal icing. Maybe you could buy stamens and pipe royal icing in those colors onto them.

The yellow part looks like a piece of gumpaste on a wire, and then royal icing piped on top.

Edited to say: I just realized that the picture is of a real lotus flower. Nevertheless, I think you can recreate the middle using royal icing.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 4

i was thinking gumpaste for the big middle center too, but i'm not sure how to get the stamens to stand up like that (like, hair maybe?). could royal icing stay up like that? maybe i can just use wires and wrap them with a thin layer of gumpaste. i'll try out different techniques. thanks for the tips.

Shonao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shonao Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 4

Using Royal to make the stamens would be a PITA. You can purchase non-edible stamin at most specialty cake supply stores. You can also order them online. http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/stamens.htm is one place. I have a local specialty supply store, so I just go there.

I'm in the middle of making a lotus as well, and for the center I made a ball of gumpaste to stick the stamen into, then attached the bell thingy that I made from gumpaste also. Then I stuck the stamen in behind the bell, and that is the best way I have figured out how to make one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%