Unique Request

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm by ShellBell69

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 21

ok, this is going to be unusual! a friend of mine is going through a really rough time emotionally. a little background (in hopes she doesnt see this post) she has been unable to concieve a child. Then an out of the blue (semi related) person offered them her child which was gonna be her 6th and she was gonna give it up for adoption. child was fatherless and mother on drugs, etc. big risk...didnt turn out well. child came home with them and after 7 days, developed a brain infection that left him with cerebral palsy and basically to the extent of being a vegetable. they decided to find a home for him that was more capable of taking care of him and experience with special needs children. this has really been a very difficult year and decisions that they have had to make. so now, she is depressed and very low and mad at everyone and God. She openly admits to all of this. I told her that i have felt alot of the same way but for other issues. so i told her that we were gonna have ourselves a 'pity party' and i was gonna bring cake! now i am totally serious. what else can you do for someone that you have no clue what to do! but i thought at least some girl time would be good! soooooo, what the heck is an appropirate pity party cake? it needs to be funny and uplifting....i like coming up with ideas, but i am stumped on this one! it will just be the two of us, so not a huge cake,....but i am willing to do something like 8" round....
ideas anyone? i cant wait to hear these! thanks!

20 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 21

make a (pointer) finger to shake at God
make some fondant knives to (pretend) to cut yourselves
umm, a bottle of 'pills' to take

I don't know though~~

I think I'd make two pretty little tea cup cakes--depending on your expertise either make the cups & saucers out of edibles or use for really china cups & saucers & she can keep the set to remind her of the good time y'all had.

I'd just make the most decadent cake dessert to put in there with Grand Marnier splash and wonderful fruit filling and whipped cream and great chocolate or luscious white cake or both!

You could make a fondant scrollie like Colette does in her latest book to signify like a wiff of 'smoke' coming out the top or something.

I think I'd keep it sweet.

kweenofengland Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 21

haha! I like all of the ideas....but clueless about the Colette and her book idea. can you tell i dont read? seriously no clue. so maybe got a link or something i can check out? haha! i like the tea cup idea maybe with a bottle of pills next to it! lol!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 21

I got to see Julie/Julia recently--I really dug it--I think it would be a good flick for y'all sometime. See you have to go eat afterward that flick--after all that food food food!!

Just a thought.

Hope things heal for both of you. And life gets sweeter in the best ways possible.

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 21

That is very sweet of you to be there for your friend. How about making a basket filled with chocolate cover strawberrys and getting a real bottle of wine and a movie. It's just an idea. I will keep her in my prayers.

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 21

The tea cups would be very pretty, I bet.

I love coming up with ideas (particularly ones I don't have to execute myself..) so, if you don't do the cups, you could do a bottle of "whine" (wine bottle) and I've seen recipes for champage cakes and icings that sounded amazing!

But, nah.. "tea and sympathy" isn't that a saying? I'd do the tea cups. Or even a tea pot! I've seen some gorgeous tea pot cakes.

I love the idea of a for-real pity party and you sound like a great friend. It feels weird to say "enjoy it!", but I hope you do. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 21

What if you did something and made it look like there was a big sloppy drooly bite out of it? using some piping gel.

Like I did a rice krispie treat 'dreamsicle' with a bite out of it--I might have a picture somewhere...who knows... but it was dipped in chocolate.

What about a basket of like useless stuff (cookies) a light bulb that's cracked, a tube of wrinkle cream that's all used up, a car with a flat tire, a purse with a hole in the bottom, a pair of pants with a hole in the butt, ahhh,

Trying to think of something that will jog an idea for yah. icon_biggrin.gif

HeatherWantsCake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 21

K8's ideas gave me an idea..

Philosophy makes a moisturizer called "Hope In A Jar" (Oprah made a big fuss about it years back..). The jar looks like this:

I think the name and slogan could be appropriate, and it'd be simple to do - black and white 8" round, maybe? Or 3 layer 6-inch or something?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 21

Or make a cake that looks like a quart of ice cream - chocolate mudslide or her favorite flavor - with 2 gumpaste spoons attached sticking in the "ice cream". The Hope in a Jar idea is a great one.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 21

I love Heather's idea!

Got another one--a kleenex box cake with a ton of slightly 'used' fondant kleenexes all wadded up--again some well placed piping gel could be a real accent.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 21

I am for Heathers concept! I think it fits the occasion perfectly without being insulting. A wonderful message! great thinking Heather! thumbs_up.gif

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:09pm
post #12 of 21

I love both heather's idea and Kate's used tissue cake. Both are classic.

If you went with the Hope cake you might think of changing the words to something like:

hope in a cake

extra chocolate (or whatever flavor) formula for good friend types

philosophy: where there is cake there can be laughter. where there is laughter miracles can occur

Hope your pity party goes well. It's an excellent idea.

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 21

Having been through the infertility part and knowing how awful that was, I can't imagine how your friend must feel after all that. When I was really down, the best thing was chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate--the most decadent thing you can make (I couldn't have cared what it looked like!), with a gallon of milk, and a good shoulder to cry onicon_smile.gif I like the movie idea too, just make sure there are no babies in it. icon_sad.gif Good luck.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:35pm
post #14 of 21

There's a scene from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" in which Rhoda is indulging herself with candy. Mary tells her, "Rhoda .... chocolate doesn't fix anything." Rhoda tells her, "No, Mary. COTTAGE CHEESE doesnt' fix anything. CHOCOLATE fixes EVERYTHING!"

So with that in mind, indulge in something super-triple chocolate with chocolate ganche dripping off of it, drizzled with some melted white chocolate and some luxurious chocolate covered strawberries on the side.

And no girls-night-out is complete without inviting *my* best friend, Robert Mondavi!!! thumbs_up.gif

kweenofengland Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:32am
post #15 of 21

i love these ideas! I really do like this 'jar' idea and i love the new slogan by Blu_canary, then i love the chocolate ideas. soooo how about

hope in a cake

extra chocolate formula for good friend types

philosophy: where there is cake there can be chocolate. where there is chocolate happiness can occur ????

I like the original slogan like it was at first because we are both Christians and trying to see God's meaning behind all that they have been through, but you know sometimes faith fails and we cant see the reason for a while. so then i thought this alternate slogan fits much better for the occasion. wow! thanks for all these ideas! i just hope what i come up with meets all your expectations! still open to any other ideas!

HeatherWantsCake Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #16 of 21

Sounds great, Kween!

The fact that there's going to be an actual pity party, complete with any kind of cake, especially an adorable chocolate one made with such love, has already impressed the heck out of me, for one.

I'm sure you'll rock it.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:22am
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweenofengland

...wow! thanks for all these ideas! i just hope what i come up with meets all your expectations! still open to any other ideas!

No no no no no no no it's not about you meeting anyone's expectations. It's about having a sweet time with a friend.

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:47pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

No no no no no no no it's not about you meeting anyone's expectations. It's about having a sweet time with a friend.

What she said! The quote sounds perfect. And though you may not want to mention it to your friend...I think it's safe to say we are all sending a whole lot of warmth, comfort and hugs your way. We'll be at the party if not in person, then in spirit.

kweenofengland Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:03pm
post #19 of 21

thanks again...all! I havnt scheduled the party yet. This week is just out of the question, but maybe this weekend. I'll post a pic as soon as I get it done! Thanks all for the prayers and thoughts and wishes. She really needs all she can get.

kweenofengland Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:07pm
post #20 of 21

oh also, for anyone curious about the story. you can still view most of it at www.caringbridge.com/connerdunn. you can read all the journal posts. Still makes me cry to think about it! and pass along the caringbridge site to anyone you know that is in the hospital or needs to send out regular updates to many people on their status. it is a great tool in today's email prayer chains!

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm
post #21 of 21

I have no ideas that are funny but I LOVE the idea of the jar!! I went and read her caringbridge. Please let her know that I am so sorry and that I am/will be praying for her and her family. I wish I would have known back when it was all going on I would have loved to have been part of the prayer circle.

Be sure to show us pictures of the cake when you are done. I looked at your cakes and they are amazing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%