The Great Scratch Off - Carrot Cake

Decorating By KitchenKat Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 5:31am by Normita

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:39pm
post #31 of 47

I think that's a great idea mkolmar.....I'll have time after Valentines weekend is over.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:38pm
post #32 of 47

I'm in thumbs_up.gif

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:36am
post #33 of 47

I just found this thread and can't wait to see the outcome.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:48pm
post #34 of 47

hey, i just saw this too! i can save you all the trouble of baking because the recipe by "revel" is the best, lol!!! several years ago, i did my own taste test with several recipes and this one (which is by Southern Living, btw) won. happy baking everyone! ♥

Mom0971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom0971 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:23pm
post #35 of 47

I too use the one from The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook. I however add lots more spices to mine to make it have more ummph. I get rave reviews whenever I make this cake. The cc icing I use is from Joy of Cooking. I have never made a citrus cc recipe. I might have to try that out. If you love carrot cake then this recipe is one of the most moist, decadent, and down right delicious ones I have ever had. It is my most requested cakes from my friends and family so I guess it is a hint. I one time made one and I tripled the recipe to make it into a 12x18 half sheet cake. OY that was one heavy cake by the time I was done with it.
Take care y'all and happy baking.
Shelley icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:41pm
post #36 of 47

Thanks ladies....is this the one you love?

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=257583

I have an aversion to coconut, I know I'm weird lol....have you ever tried it without the coconut?

Mom0971 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:55am
post #37 of 47

Yep, I have made it several times without the coconut. My best friends mom is allergic so for several years I have just left it out. You can't tell it is missing. Shoot you really can't even tell it is in the cake when I do use it, only if you bite into a piece. I sometimes add a little extra pecans. I don't use walnuts in my cake. Living in south Texas we are surrounded by pecan trees so to me that is the best nut to cook with. Hope this helps.
Shelley

Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #38 of 47

Thanks Shelley, I LOVE pecans best too...soo jealous that you're surrounded by pecan trees. I too only bake with pecans, and snack on them too icon_wink.gif

I'm happy to hear that leaving out the coconut won't effect the cake. I like the taste of coconut, just hate the texture of it. I suppose I could grind it up in my food processor to get the flavor.

Mom0971 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:28am
post #39 of 47

Deb, yep that is the recipe. I do however add lot's more spices to mine. I add ginger, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, and the cinnamon. So the base of mine is more of a spice cake and I think that just gives it a little bit more personality. I don't like the cc recipe that they recommend I use the on in the Joy of cooking cookbook. The one for food processor works great. The buttermilk glaze just adds so much moisture to this cake that when you bite into it your mouth is just salivating. Hmmmm I might just have to make another one soon. I just made one a few weeks ago for my friend. She is not a baker and this recipe scares her. Too many ingredients and too much to have to do. Oh well I love baking so that is fine with me. I like to garnish it with pecan halves around the top rim and bottom border. It just depends on what I am in the mood to do and how much time I have till I have to deliver the cake. Can anyone say SHORT CUT DECORATING? lol
Hope all this info helps. If you would like the measurements of the spices just email me.
Shelley

Mom0971 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:32am
post #40 of 47

Speaking of snacking on pecans I buy the 2lbs bags at Costco and grab a handful out of the freezer whenever I walk by. I could live off of pecans. The pecan trees that I have near me are the spanish pecans and they are a pain in the tush to shell so I usually just buy mine. Now if I had the bigger ones then oh my gosh I would be outside during pecan season and gathering till my heart and tummy is content. Let's just say that pecans are a staple in this house!!!!

Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:50am
post #41 of 47

I have one more quick question....I searched Joy of Cooking Cream Cheese frosting/food processor and this came up. The cream cheese frosting recipe is down the page a bit after the red velvet recipe.

Is this the one you use Shelley?

http://www.joyofbaking.com/RedVelvetCake.html

Thanks so much!

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:11pm
post #42 of 47

I have been looking for a great red velvet cake/cream cheese frosting that have that's outstanding cannot wait to try this one.

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:00pm
post #43 of 47

Is this scratch off still going on or are you guys done already. I have a carrott cake recipe I like, but I made it into cupcakes once and they didn't come out that great.
BTW - I always get the carrots that are not already peeled. It's a little extra work, but I think they are so much more moist and flavorful. Anyone else do this?

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:09pm
post #44 of 47

I peel my as well.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 11:47pm
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

I peel my as well.

Ditto.

Sorry but I am going to have to sit out the carrot cake scratch-off. I have too much going on in my life right now. Happy baking to those who continue on with the scratch-off icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:12pm
post #46 of 47

thanks for the recommendation for the "best carrot cake" from southern living. It was great! I made it just as written. I had a lot of leftover of the glaze, because I didnt really know how much to put on. afterward it turned into a yummy caramel. but I really didnt notice it on the cake, probaby because I didnt put enough on. It jsut didnt really soak in. Oh well, it was great either way.

Very moist, but not overly

I liked that it used less oil than most recipes

texture and crumb were good

easy to make

great with the cream cheese icing!

If you do make the buttermilk glaze, make it in a big pot! it started bubbling when heated and burned all over my stove.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 5:31am
post #47 of 47

I am planning on making the carrot cake that was suggested by revel (the southern living)....I just have never come across canned flaked coconut...where can I buy that?? And can I add raisens?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%