Floral Wire In Cakes

Decorating By SweetChar Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm by sweetflowers

SweetChar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetChar Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, I was just wondering if it is safe to use floral wire in cakes to make things things come out of the cake like stars and shapes, etc.?

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 10

Floral wire isn't food safe. You can insert the wires into straws, or dip them in chocolate before putting them into the cake.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 10

oh chocolate sounds like a great idea, the one time i used them i wrapped them in plastic wrap LOL!! yeah it was kinda funny!!

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 10

Some of the CCer's said to get the little coffee stirrers from McDonalds or other places and put the wire in that. I did it and it worked well.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 10

i use the little coffee stirrers too, works great. Good idea about the chocolate though

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:31am
post #6 of 10

I read that someone used a piece of straw, and then insert the wire into the straw. Doesn't the cake go into the straw when you insert it into the cake. or do you tape the end that goes into the cake first?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:02pm
post #7 of 10

the cake does go into the straw but when you start to cut the cake, you pull the straw out and the small plug of cake comes with the straw. Just throw that away.

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you pattycakesnj for your expert advise. It makes sence. I will try it tomorrow. thumbs_up.gif

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 10

I am in the uk and here we use " Posy Picks" which you can order online and they are like white tubes that you fill with fondant and leave over night, then the wires sit in the fondant as it acts like clay, the pick then gets pushed into the cake. hope this helps icon_smile.gif

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 10

I use the straws when I only have a few flowers here and there, I dip the ends in chocolate when I have a lot to insert, like the cascading flowers from my last wedding cake (in my pics). It goes a lot faster when I dip. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%