Ideas On How To Make This Cake (Or Similar)

Decorating By moneekw Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm by momvarden

moneekw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moneekw Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 14

My daughter asked me to make this cake or something similar for her wedding. Any ideas? It doesn't need to be exactly like this one but she likes the shape, the chocolate, and the truffles/cake balls.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/3040293503_d91822f427.jpg

I don't have a lot of cake experience so the easier the better. : )

Thank you!

Monique

[/url]
LL

13 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 14

That lookls like a chocolate wrap on there made taller than the cake - and truffles to fill the space, with a fabric ribbon to finish.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 14

it's actually a very simple to execute design and gorgeous to boot!! Will be scary stacking it though.

krazyb5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazyb5 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 14

this is most def a chocolate wrap with truffles and fabric ribbons

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

it's actually a very simple to execute design and gorgeous to boot!! Will be scary stacking it though.

it is so gorgeous!

how about if you stack before you do the chocolate wrap? would that be less scary?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 14

And do the top layers choc wrap and then the middle and then the bottom. So that you won't be working in the hole each layer makes.

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 14

That is a beautiful cake.. I spent hrs last night reading the decorating section and they have a great thread on how to wrap a cake in chocolate
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-56654.html
this might help you! icon_smile.gif

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 14

I would stack the cake and then add the wrap starting at the top tier. An option would be to use chocolate paste instead of a chocolate wrap.

HTH!

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #9 of 14

I have never done chocolate wrap but it looks so cool. I would like to see a thread on this. How did they get the edges so level. I have only seen smeared chocolate wrap. I do want to try this someday. icon_cool.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #10 of 14

icon_eek.gif Wow, that's one of emma's cakes!! She used to be here on CC but she left a while back... icon_cry.gif I sure do miss her. She does fabulous work!!

Like the others said it's pretty easy to execute, use candy clay to wrap the cake, organza ribbon for bows and either cake balls or real chocolate truffles to enhance. Good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:41am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

icon_eek.gif Wow, that's one of emma's cakes!! She used to be here on CC but she left a while back... icon_cry.gif I sure do miss her. She does fabulous work!!

Its not he same emmascakes, the one you are talking about is from the UK, this Emma is from Cape Town South Africa

www.emmascakes.co.za

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:15pm
post #12 of 14

OH! I didn't realize that. The styles were similar too which threw me. Oh well. I still miss her! icon_biggrin.gif

moneekw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moneekw Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you so much for the replies! I have so many questions and I really appreciate the help you so generously give. : )

So...I bake and stack the 3 cakes. Do I use dowels for support?

What should I ice the cakes with before applying the chocolate?

I've tried finding info for the chocolate paste with no luck. Is that the same as chocolate clay? Is that something I can roll out to get the smooth, level edges for the chocolate rims?

Does the chocolate paste/clay dry hard? Will it be difficult for the bride and groom to cut?

Anything else you think I should know?

Thank you, thank you!

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm
post #14 of 14

Well i would practice with whatever you decide to work with I would work with the modeling chocolate and i have recipe if you need it. It is really easy to make.

Modeling chocolate gets firm but can be cut. Since you will be rolling it thin it might bend. The other thing modeling chocolate does is it will be easy to wrap around the cake.

I would frost it with either your regular buttercream frosting colored chocolate brown or make chocolate buttercream. what ever matches the chocolate wrap to help with any issues that might occur. I am not some one who works with straight chocolate, I have tried and will probably try again but i find it a little frustrating. But again if you have time try out both it won't be that expensive to do, and it will help you in the long run.

When stacking your cakes make sure you use a cardboard base under each. (sorry if you already knew that.) always use supports for the lower levels for yours the base layer and the middle layer then for extra support and security a dowel down the center of all three teirs. I think thats all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%