They're Returning Cake Boards.......????

Decorating By Jen80 Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 1:06pm by yellobutterfly

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm
post #31 of 37

In UK an 18" drum costs £5.80/$9.54, so yes I definitely want it back.I sanitize, cover with fresh foil and reuse,and I keep re using till I have to throw it out or somebody doeasn't return it.

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:40pm
post #32 of 37

I cover drums in paper, saran, and then fondant. After serving the cake (I am always present and don't bake professionally) I tear all of the stuff off the drum and it is practically clean since no food actually touched it directly (because of the paper, saran, and fondant). I do wipe the foil covered part thoroughly, just because I feel like I should, but there has never been anything to actually wipe off!

I do reuse them then, in the same exact manner. I really don't find it gross at all since it is so well covered beforehand. The cake never touches it.

The one time I did have a knife cut through to the board, I threw it out. That is too germy for me.

I would nevvvvver reuse dowels, since those are actually IN the cake and absorb moisture and such, and that just seems like a total breeding ground for who knows what kind of germs!

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:19pm
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

What are the $20 ones made out of?

It doesn't say in the item description. I just peeled back the foil on an old one and it looks like some kind of compressed timber or cardboard.

They are very sturdy. They don't bend. They don't dent, like I imagine a foam one would (don't know for sure because I have never used a foam core board).

Jen80 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:30pm
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

I did get some back from a wedding cake about a month after the wedding. THEY WERE STILL DIRTY!ewwww the dowle rods and pillars and cardboard all together in a plastic bag.

Eww.............I bet they were stinky too.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm
post #35 of 37

Yeah, I'll clean off buttercream and cake from my equipment and tools that I retain as part of my day to day working stuff....but cleaning that stuff days later and with god knows what germs, no thanks! Disposable systems alllll the way! It doesn't have to be expensive (if you charge accordingly in the first place!).

Jen80 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:48pm
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

It doesn't have to be expensive (if you charge accordingly in the first place!).

icon_lol.gif Yeah.........I know, I know.

I just get so excited about the cake (I'm gonna do this, then I'm gonna put that bit there, ooh and wouldn't it be effective if I did that!) that I totally forget what the whole thing actually sits on......duh!
Memory like a sieve I have.

Don't worry, beginners excitement is wearing thin very fast.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:06pm
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvallee

I get the 'gross' part of it, especially knowing that some people are not as uptight about animals on counters or setting food items on floors.

I know I have this vision of someone laying the board around their house and the cat licking off the icing, then the dog drags his butt across it...ick! (can you tell I don't do pets, lol)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%