My Chocolate Cake Idea...will It Work???

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 11:58pm by xstitcher

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:05am
post #1 of 6

I am making a carved 3-D deer head out of Chocolate-WASC. I was considering then using Crusting Chocolate Buttercream under Chocolate Ganash. Then I will cover in fondant! What do you think? I have never done this before, especially on a 3-D cake. Will my ganache break under the fondant?

5 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #2 of 6

I know a lot of cakers here have said to use ganach under fondant. IIRC, it holds onto the fondant better than BC does.

I don't know about putting the BC under the ganache, though. Don't recall anyone saying to do that - but then, I could be wrong. It has happened once or twice before. icon_wink.gif

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:25am
post #3 of 6

Ganache under fondant is ideal for 3d cakes but you don't need butter cream as well - use a setting ganache (2:1 ratio of dark chocolate to cream) There are several threads here on using ganache if you haven't used it before.

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 6

I was going to do the Choc Buttercream and Ganache since the B-day boy LOVES chocolate...Do you think it's too much?

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 6

Pourable ganache over bc is what I'm familiar with. I cannot think of how a spreadable ganache would adhere to a crusting bc. I'm guessing it would just pull off.

Fondant over ganache over bc sounds like overkill to me. Ganache is plenty good on its own or under fondant. It doesn't need bc.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 6

You just need the ganache, plenty chocolatey!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%