Ultimate Cake Off - Tlc Channel

Lounge By MariaLovesCakes Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 4:38pm by ccr03

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:08am
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

It's interesting that their first episode features realtive unknowns. You'd think they'd open with Norman or someone.

Most of the competitors on this last episode have been caking for longer than CC has been around. They are well known among the veterans of the industry.. Congrats to them all for having the courage to be judged by the critics and the TV viewers.. I am honored to know Susan and her team, and am very proud of their accomplishments... thumbs_up.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:12am
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_canary

Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

How do you not take it personal? That is silly. I liked the judges honesty. It was a client decision regardless.

You don't take it personally because no one has said the competitors stink. The competitors rock. I'd like to see more of them.

If you are a producer or in charge of the show in some way, then by all means, take it personally. icon_biggrin.gif

I will just say this because I really do not want to go another round. I do take this the way I do because we have invested as much time as lets say a producer or anyone who is part of the show. So, to have someone I do not know tell me how I should feel reading this post is really pointless. I think it was said on one of the post that they were surprised to see relatively unknowns and they should have had Norm. Why? The whole show is to showcase new talent. The people who produce these shows are close to us and we share what they feel about the show. But you would not get that I suppose.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:25am
post #33 of 43

I'm still not sure what to make of this show yet......I'm not in love with it, but hoping it'll grow on me.

I'd love to have less drama/competitions and more decorating....of course the general public loves the drama so I'm sure they'll have to keep it in there.

I guess that's what the "fast forward" button is for icon_biggrin.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:18am
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

It's interesting that their first episode features realtive unknowns. You'd think they'd open with Norman or someone.

Most of the competitors on this last episode have been caking for longer than CC has been around. They are well known among the veterans of the industry.. Congrats to them all for having the courage to be judged by the critics and the TV viewers.. I am honored to know Susan and her team, and am very proud of their accomplishments... thumbs_up.gif

That probably sounded like a knock on the competitors. It wasn't meant to be though. I simply meant that a nationwide audience isn't necessarily made up of all cake decorators. For that reason, you'd think they'd have people who were more recognizable to the average Joe.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:50am
post #35 of 43
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How do you not take it personal? That is silly. I liked the judges honesty. It was a client decision regardless.

You don't take it personally because no one has said the competitors stink. The competitors rock. I'd like to see more of them.

If you are a producer or in charge of the show in some way, then by all means, take it personally. icon_biggrin.gif

I will just say this because I really do not want to go another round. I do take this the way I do because we have invested as much time as lets say a producer or anyone who is part of the show. So, to have someone I do not know tell me how I should feel reading this post is really pointless. I think it was said on one of the post that they were surprised to see relatively unknowns and they should have had Norm. Why? The whole show is to showcase new talent. The people who produce these shows are close to us and we share what they feel about the show. But you would not get that I suppose.

Just saw this. Please read the post of mine above this. I love seeing relative unknowns. I think it makes things fresh and interesting. They come with new styles, ideas, work habits etc. My point, again, was not to suggest they should have a rehash of all the Challenge contestants. My point was that the average Joe *might* be more drawn in to faces they know.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:13am
post #36 of 43
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Amen. I applied to be one of the unknowns but I am a solo artist - I never would have made a challenge with just myself plus a friend as an assitant! Needless to say, I wasn't chosen but was sent a great "considered 'til the bitter end" dear John, lol. I STILL want to re-apply next season icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:19pm
post #37 of 43

I find it interesting that people assume that a judge has to be able to do the same things that the decorators do in order to be taken seriously. If everyone had that attitude there would be no critics in any arts field. You can appreciate music and know a lot about it without being a composer or a performer, so why not cakes? Same with movies, paintings, etc.

Some of the things that cake judges focus on is so stupid to me anyway, I'm glad that this show has a client-chosen winner.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:34pm
post #38 of 43

I have to say, I haven't seen the show, but, I am so proud to know each and every one of the competitors (unknown) via CC. I have a tremendous amount of admiration and respect for all of you who compete, I can't even imagine how stressful and crazy the whole thing would be. When I watch FN Challenges and I see competitors having problems, I feel their pain and it make it so fun. I relate because as a fellow "caker" I have stress with every cake order and then when it's finished I feel so proud that I have accomplished yet another cake. I can only imagine how proud all of you competitors on this new show must feel and I tip my hat to you, and I will be sure and watch in the future!!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:56pm
post #39 of 43

[quote="MariaLovesCakes
I didn't see that one... I only saw the Cake Diva one and the other lady with back hair...[/quote]

How can you tell that the poor woman has "back hair?" Didn't she have on a chef's coat? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

[quote="MariaLovesCakes
I didn't see that one... I only saw the Cake Diva one and the other lady with back hair...

How can you tell that the poor woman has "back hair?" Didn't she have on a chef's coat? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif[/quote]

Hee Hee Hee, I love typos!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:56pm
post #41 of 43
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

exactly! the main purpose of the show is to showcase new talent, which of course, they are not new, but are finally being recognized! thumbs_up.gif

i personally, am tired of seeing the same person's work on t.v. let others get recognized as well. icon_wink.gif

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:58pm
post #42 of 43

I am glad to hear that there are going to be some new competitors! I was kind of disappointed that this week's show had many of the same competitors that have been on FN. Not that they aren't good at what they do, I just enjoy seeing new people and new talent! It's really exciting that some of our CC friends are going to be on the show!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:38pm
post #43 of 43

I can see how people involved in any way in the show can take the criticism personally. As a former journalist, I took any and all criticism about my writing personally. It's hard not to, but the criticism made it better.

I watch the show, but I do feel like something is missing. Maybe that it seems so slow-paced. I'm not sure. And honestly, the producers should be reading post like these so they can see viewer reaction.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%