How Do I Color Chocolate

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,
I need to make some petitfours covered in buble gum pink color. I prefer to use candy melts. Anyone knows of how I can achieve that color?
Thanks a bunch,
P

7 replies
Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 8

You could buy the colored melts. If you want to color them yourself, you need to use candy colors, NOT icing colors. The candy colors are oil based so they won't make the chocolate seize. Also, there are color powders you can use. HTH icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 8

Michaels has pink colored candy wafers

Pebbles1727 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks, but that's kind of the problem, I've never seen bubble gum pink candy melts or candy color like that. I'm trying to figure out how I can achieve that specific color.
Thanks, P

Pebbles1727 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

Michaels has pink colored candy wafers

True, but they are more of a mauvie pink, actually not a pretty color, and these have to be specifically bubble gum pink, which is more of a light hot pink-pepto-bismol pink color.

Oh please anyone who can help?
P

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 8

The candy color may not be called bubble gum pink but a mixture with a little trial and error of the different pinks and reds avail in the candy colors may give you exactly what your looking for. You don't have to use candy melts. Why not a poured fondant or glace icing that you can color with cake paste colors? There are more colors available and your petits would taste a whole lot better. I only use candy melts for designs that won't be consumed or sometimes for children. They really are waxy and don't taste that great. Hth icon_smile.gif

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 8

Sorry for the misunderstanding. icon_redface.gif

You could do a little trial and error with pink and red melts and maybe avoid the coloring altogether. I noticed the last time I colored melts, they dried MUCH darker than when they were still liquid. Something to keep in mind...

Pebbles1727 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

Why not a poured fondant or glace icing that you can color with cake paste colors?

I don't like poured fondant or glace icing-it's way too sweet. I prefer to use Merkens, and find it quite tasty. I use Wilton only in emergencies, which I agree is waxy. I was so hoping for an easy answer, but I guess it will be trial and error to arrive to the right color icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%