Carousel Cake Suggestions

Decorating By trfeist Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 8:57pm by bobwonderbuns

trfeist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trfeist Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #1 of 10

I am making a carousel cake for my friends daughter in two weeks. She has given me the horses that she wants me to use on the cake. I am going to try to put fondant swags around the bottom. It will be my first attempt at them.
I was hoping to get some suggestions for the top tier. She would like it to come to a point. Should I make fondant pieces and glue them together or try to carve the cake to make a point?

9 replies
Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 10:35am
post #2 of 10

I am not quite sure how pointy you want it at the top but you could just make a round (in the size you need) and bake it a little hotter than usual to get it to rise in the middle and then make a small cup cake or muffin size cake and put it on the top.

I have attached a carousel I did, I don't know whether this is the shape you are talking about. Mine is not pointed it is high in the middle on the top.

Best of luck with the cake icon_biggrin.gif , not sure whether I am on the same page as you, if not, ignore my response icon_redface.gif
LL

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 10:49am
post #3 of 10

Wow Kim, you're carousel looks just like the one in the WW book. Great job! Very impressive
icon_smile.gif

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:01am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcm51

Wow Kim, you're carousel looks just like the one in the WW book. Great job! Very impressive
icon_smile.gif

Yes it is, that is where I got my inspiration from. It was the first cake I ever made but I could not find the horses that were in the book so I drew them, flooded them and coloured them both sides - boy there was some work in those. When I put it on the table at my daughters party, I put it on my decorating wheel so it spun around as well icon_rolleyes.gif - she loved it, that's all that's important. !

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:20am
post #5 of 10

WOW this cake is beautiful! icon_eek.gif Your horses are spectacular...don't want to hi-jack the thread, but had to comment on your creation thumbs_up.gif .

trfeist Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the tip. Your cake is so adorable. If mine turns out even close to this I will be happy.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 10

Kim, I CAN NOT believe that that was your first cake. You have some serious talent girl! WOW
icon_surprised.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 10

I made a carousel cake and baked the top in a pyrex (glass) bowl. I did actually level the top a little bit, but you needn't if you didn't want it straight (although, it still wouldn't be a 'point' like your friend was after)....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=324953

Suzanne x

trfeist Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the pictures and the advise. Relznik your cake is so clean. I am going to try a combination of the ideas I have received from here and see how it works out.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 10

You know who to ask -- Sugarshack. She made a very cute carousel cake a while back (I'm not sure if it's in her pix or not) but she did a great job on it using some very cool techniques.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%