Arghhhh!!! Cricut, Fondant, Dvd Rant

Decorating By christine154 Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 4:15am by princesscris

christine154 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christine154 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 12

hi i am new to forum and to cake decorating and i HATE FONDANT i have decided
i wanted to make the fondant that Linda McClure makes so i copied her recipe to the T yesterday although i found it very sticky today ,i only wanted to cut out something on my cricut with it so i added some Tylose powder (CMC) i think its called in America as i live in the UK England , anyway to make the fondant into sugar paste well i have tried every setting there is on the cricut and but it rather mashes it all up or does not cut through just enough to be a clean cut i have rolled it out very thin on my pasta roller i have spent 4 hours on this and could smash it all up so i thought i come to the forum and have a moan
i wanted the Linda McClure DVD on how to do this but its a American DVD and will not play on our ones so emailed her to ask if i could buy it via a zipped file or on one of the file transfer things so i could watch it on my laptop her hubby said he would look into it and get back to me but never did so any help on this subject would really be appreciate
sorry about the rant

christine

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 12

I don't have a Cricut so I can't be any help with that end of things. I'm sorry you're frustrated though! I do know how that feels icon_biggrin.gif

Anyhow, it's not too hard to get around region coding as long as you don't mind watching the DVD on your computer. VLC media player is free and will play almost anything regardless of region, and there are other programs that will take the region coding off.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 12

Add tylose to the fondant and let it sit for 24 hours. It should thicken and firm up the fondant. I found mine too firm and took out a large ball of "gumpaste" and added an equal amout of fondant.
After letting it sit, it had thickened up the fondant but made the gumpaste more workable.

After you roll it out set it sit to firm up and dry out a bit. Then run it through your cricut machine using a deep blade.

christine154 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 12

hi thanks for the info on the dvd coding program but my daughter did that with her laptop and had nothing but trouble with playing dvd or cd after that so i would rather not take a chance with doing that but thanks all the same

christine154 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Add tylose to the fondant and let it sit for 24 hours. It should thicken and firm up the fondant. I found mine too firm and took out a large ball of "gumpaste" and added an equal amout of fondant.
After letting it sit, it had thickened up the fondant but made the gumpaste more workable.

After you roll it out set it sit to firm up and dry out a bit. Then run it through your cricut machine using a deep blade.

what setting do you use on cricut to cut the gumpaste ? i have the expressions for crafting but bought the baby bug for the sole purpose of decorating cakes but i really am fed up now i dont no if to buuuy some ready made gumpaste to try but i feel i am just throwing money away keep trying these things out icon_sad.gif

DebraDough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraDough Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 12

I feel like a heel saying this buy I have never had any trouble with fondant. I think for me the trick has been to not follow the directions exactly but to ad lib it. I use a MMF recipe I got off of this site and it says to use one pound of powdered sugar....yeah right. It's more like two pounds of powdered sugar. I also use a bit of cornstartch to thicken up fondant that is going to be used for cutouts instead of the whole cake. My advice would be to fold in powdered sugar the way you would add flour to bread dough until it is where you can handle it without it sticking to your fingers. Then I put it in plastic wrap and let it cure for a while. When I take it out of the plastic wrap I add small amounts of powdered sugar until it feels right. For the cutouts I use the cornstartch. It doesn't taste as good but if you go slow with how much you add it makes a nice smooth surface I don't always get with adding the sugar. Don't think following the recipes exactly is the way to go. Use your common sense and add what you need until you get it to the consistency that works for you. I am sure it is as individual as we are. Don't give up...it is so fun when you get the hang of it. I hope some of my ideas help you on your way to success with fondant.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 12

The things I keep hearing about using the Cricut for gumpaste are:

1) the gumpaste has to sit out for a bit after you roll it so that it becomes firm (not hard) or the blade will simply drag the gumpaste instead of cut it;

2) use the deep cutting housing and blade to cut the gumpaste;

3) you have to scrape all the sticky stuff off of the cutting mat, then use a very light rubbing of shortening on the mat so your gumpaste won't move around as it's being cut.

There's another thread on here about using the Cricut for gumpaste and there really is a lot of good information on that thread.

Good luck!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 12

Try speed medium and cutting depth 6.

christine154 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 12

i went back to it a while ago left it sitting for a while then sent it to cut and it did it yipeeeeeeeeeeeee lol see thats why i love forums you take a bit of info from here there and everywhere and success every time
thank you all sooooooooooooo much for your help

christine

ps did i mention i now love my bug a again lol

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 12

You don't have to scrape the sticky stuff off the Cricut mat. Just put a piece of waxed paper on the mat, then the thinnest film of veg shortening and proceed.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 10:00pm
post #11 of 12

leah_s - YOU ROCK!! thank you so much!! I just got my cricut and the DVD yesterday, so I haven't even used it yet - but I was seriously DREADING getting all that sticky off.

YIPPEEEE!!!!!

so excited!!

thank you!

Christine - I'm so glad that you got yours to work, when I saw your header I thought "OH NO!!"

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:15am
post #12 of 12

Hi Christine

I'm in Australia and Linda's DVD works fine on my player - it isn't restricted to the US region like commercial DVD's are.

Kind regards,
Cris.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%