Royal Icing Xfer - Directly On Cake?

Decorating By dxerebl Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 12:05am by TexasSugar

dxerebl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dxerebl Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all -

I want to do a RIT for a last minute b-day cake, but don't think I have enought drying time. So ...... I've come up with this thought/idea and wondered if it has been done, could be done, or any suggestions that might be helpful.

Here's the scenario - the cake is due tomorrow around noon.

I thought I could do the base cake (in buttercream) and then get my design outline transfered to the cake. Go over the outline with RI, then fill with the thinned RI to fill in. My goal is to get the nice smooth look (almost puffy) of the RI.

The main question then would be - will the RI set up "just enough" to not run all of the cake - or to not be "gooey" when the cake is cut? Would it just be plain "yucky" all together if the icing hasn't set enough?

Has anyone every done this?

Thanks in advance for your help icon_smile.gif

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 4

Hi, as far as I know, Royal Icing doesn't like greasy stuff. So buttercream and royal icing don't go together. If you can cover the cake with fondant, that will be fine!

icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:22am
post #3 of 4

Is it a crusting buttercream? I've piped Antonia74's RI directly onto crusting buttercream and had no problems

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:05am
post #4 of 4

For future reference....

If you need a piece and have limited time to let it dry you can dry it in the oven over night. Just turn the oven light on and place a note over the oven knobs so no one turns the oven on while it is in there. I have dried a piece as big as 8 inches in the oven over night and it was as hard as if I had let it dry for days normally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%