Cake Mixes- How Many For A Pan? Anyone Have A Chart?

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 7:15pm by sweetreasures

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:05am
post #1 of 10

I need to make a 4 tier wedding cake for the 6th. I keep finding time and time again that it would be sooo useful to have a chart to tell me how many boxes of mix I need for each size pan.

I use the WASC recipe. Does anyone know off hand if there is a chart for this somewhere or at least how many cups one batch (using one box of mix) of WASC makes?

I need to go shopping and I usually end up buying too much mix because Im so afraid of being short. Hope you guys can help me. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:35am
post #2 of 10

I don't use mixes, so I don't know off hand how many you need. The Wilton chart gives the # of cups of batter you need for each pan. What you need to do is make a batch of your mix and measure how many cups it gives you.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #3 of 10

It really depends on which mix you use. DH yields about 5.5 cups, undoctored, but Pillsbury is closer to 4.5, I think. I don't use WASC, but I'm sure once you share what mix you use, someone will know the answer. I'm guessing it's closer to 7 cups, but I don't know. (I thought I remembered someone saying that a full recipe WASC using 2 mixes was 14 cups.)

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 10

A double batch of WASC (using 2 mixes, 2 c. sugar, 2 c. flour etc.) makes 15 cups of batter.

Get a measuring cup out and start measuring how many cups of water each of your pans takes to the 1/2 - 2/3 full mark. Then write it on the bottom of your pan with a sharpie. icon_wink.gif In my cake pan inventory - I have the cake pan size and the batter amounts written on the bottom of each pan. I eye ball it now, but it was nice when I first started out.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:05am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

A double batch of WASC (using 2 mixes, 2 c. sugar, 2 c. flour etc.) makes 15 cups of batter.

Get a measuring cup out and start measuring how many cups of water each of your pans takes to the 1/2 - 2/3 full mark. Then write it on the bottom of your pan with a sharpie. icon_wink.gif In my cake pan inventory - I have the cake pan size and the batter amounts written on the bottom of each pan. I eye ball it now, but it was nice when I first started out.

Now that's just smart. I learn something new on here every day.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:13am
post #6 of 10
Quote:

With my luck, I'd start to pour, then remember to look. icon_rolleyes.gif

But this is a great idea. thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:35am
post #7 of 10

A combination of all of the above answers!

I always recommend the same as Loucinda to use water as well to measure, especially if you don't have a chart handy (like Wilton's) and write with a permanent marker underneath.

Different box mixes (be it flavour or brand) can yield different amounts and should be written on the box (at least I have seen it on DH boxes).

It also depends on which WASC recipe your going to be using.

If you use kakeladi's original recipe (and we'll use this one as an example) you will see that she states that the recipe "makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR one 8" & two 6" round;OR two 8"rounds OR a 12" round; and other combinations of pans."

If you use a combination of Wilton's chart & her recipe you will see that:

10" square = 6 cups
9x13" sheet = 7 cups
2 x 8" rounds = 2 x 3.5 = 7 cups
8" + 2x 6" = 3.5 + 2 + 2 = 7.5 cups
12" round = 7.5 cups

This is obviously a guideline to show which pans will fit in with the amount of batter the recipe yields but if you go with the largest one that is 7.5 cups per recipe (her's is a single batch - 1 box mix). You could always go in the middle and say it 6 3/4 cups per batter to be on the safe side. I have made her recipe numerous times and I always have enough batter to make 2 - 8" rounds and they are filled generously.

(the above mentioned amounts are based on 2" deep pans.)

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #8 of 10
Quote:

Oh great idea! Geez, it seems so obvious but sometimes its hard to think of these things until someone points it out. lol. It will help me when I need to buy mixes for sure. Thank youuuu!!!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 10

Your welcome! Glad it is a tip that helps! icon_smile.gif

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 10

I made the Orange Dreamsicle yesterday. Wasc version. Filled my pyrex bowl to the rim. I didn't measure the batter, it was fairly thick, but according to charts it would have been aprox 14 cups. Just measured and it holds 17 cups of water. The recipe filled 2 - 9 x 9 square, 1 - 6" round and 3 cup cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%