Womanly Issues, Possibly Tmi....

Lounge By Shelle_75 Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm by Karema

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #1 of 15

I just need to vent and any info from anyone who's gone through something similar.

Let me start by saying that I fully intend to see my doc. I'd just like any similar experiences and what you did to "fix" or "help" your situation.

I had my third baby a little over a year ago. She is still breastfeeding, but not exclusively (she eats table food and drinks various liquids from a cup), and I'm not sure that has anything at all to do with my problems. I got my cycle back when she was about four months old, and it was pretty much back to my regular 31 days by the time she was nine months old.

The last nine weeks I have had a period every three weeks. The bleeding itself is pretty much my norm, I am cramping more than usual. My emotions are HORRIBLE, similar to when I am pregnant (crying a lot or wanting to, no patience with my kids). And I am very tired. Mostly while on my period, but even noticeable more tired than usual when I'm not.

I've looked some stuff up that suggests peri-menopause. I'm 33, almost 34. Anyone with something similar happened/happening to them? What did your doc say?

Thanks for reading / sharing.

14 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:47am
post #2 of 15

When you're done breastfeeding, you could take black cohosh and see if that helps you.

Don't answer if this question bothers you, but are you overweight, not just a little bit, but a lot? I am and it can do odd things to your cycle, because fat cells produce estrogen.

Also, being tired and emotional can be signs of depression...or it could be a natural response to having 3 kids...that's a lot of work icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #3 of 15

Don't want to scare you, but those are similar symptoms to what my sister had this past spring with an ectopic pregnancy. Def get into see your Dr. pronto!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:01am
post #4 of 15

I was going thru something similar just last week...only my period lasted for a week and a half and i would have to change my pad every 10-15 minutes. I had huge blood clots every time I would go to the bathroom and blood would go everywhere. I was miserable. I was tired and moody. I had severe abdominal and back pain. I am on birth control so when I consulted with my doctor she informed me that it was just the birth control that there was nothing wrong and that I should keep taking the birth control. I was so scared...people were telling me that I may have had an eptopic (sp) pregnancy or a miscarriage. So many things running thru my mind...I did research and talked to a few people before i decided to go to the ER. Unfortunately, the doctors didn't do much to find out what was wrong and told me that if the bleeding didn't stop in the next week to go to my GYN. Luckily the bleeding stopped and I'm slowly getting my energy back...i did find out that I am anemic because of all that blood i lost.

I say go see your doctor asap!!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 15

You could get a blood test to see if all the bleeding is making you anemic. That would make you very tired. You should certainly get checked out to make sure there's no underlying problem.

If it 'just' turns out to be a hormanal screw-up (babies can do that to you) I highly recommend the Mirena IUD. I had one between my second and third babies, and and another after my third (last), and absolutely love it. Besides the birth control benefits, for many/most women it reduces periods to almost nothing. I have a little spotting once every three months or so, and it's so light I hardly need any protection.(Sorry if TMI!)

Anyway, I hope you get this sorted out. It's draining and depressing to have this going on.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 15

If you're the "natural, organic, wholemeal" type I suggest you learn more about Fertility Awareness. This site is a good starting point although the "earth mother" vibe can be off putting to some: sisterzeus.com Note that Fertility Awareness is NOT the same as rhythm or counting or Billings method. It's about paying attention to your bodies signs e.g. vaginal fluids, waking temperature, etc. to determine which phase of your fertility you're at (whether estrogen or progesterone - important for recognizing & understanding what you're feeling, esp emotionally). It's a very helpful tool for every woman. PM me if you have questions or have more info.

Your body is still flooded with hormones from breastfeeding & pregnancy and getting your period that frequently can be normal at this stage. It can be a non-fertile shedding of the uterine lining (without ovulating) or you can be ovulating with much shorter cycles. Understanding your cycle will allow you to recognize what it is and whether this is normal for you.

If you're the type to go for an Advil at the slightest ache, then the ony way to put you at ease would be to see your doctor.

RE: Mirena IUD. Please, please do research on this before considering it. Llots of women have positive wonderful experiences with it but that doesn't negate the equally lots of women who've had negative experiences ranging from annoying to frightening and horrible while on Mirena. At the very least understand what side effects you could experience and decide whether you are prepared to accept those negatives should they happen.

Sunflower08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower08 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 15

I agree about the Mirena.. Really research it. I had horriable side effects from it that almost ended in a hysterectomy.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower08

I agree about the Mirena.. Really research it. I had horriable side effects from it that almost ended in a hysterectomy.

Sorry to hear that. I knew some people didn't do well with it, but I also know a whole bunch who love it as much as me (and my DH icon_wink.gif )

Shelle_75 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks for all the advice gals. I suspect that I am anemic, I was slightly during the pg, went off the iron pills afterward, so I'll be mentioning that to my doc. I looked up a lot of info on ectopic pg's, and I am relatively certain that's not the case, as my bleeding is right along with a normal period for me, they're just coming closer together.

I have done lots of reading about fertility awareness, most recently Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Birth control devices and pills are not for me, because they mess with my emotions even worse than having babies and because we are Catholic. One of the reasons these mixed up cycles are really getting to me is because we are trying to use Natural Familly Planning and it's almost impossible to chart when my body is like this!

Anyway, thank you all very much for all the support and feedback. I appreciate you all more than I can say.

beanbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beanbean Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 15

Talk to your doctor . There are often simple solutions to dysfunctional uterine bleeding (bleeding in a way that is different than your normal period) Peri-menopause is unlikely due to your youn age. Most likely you are having some hormonal irregularities related to tapering off breast feeding. Talk with your doctor before trying any herbal supplements such as black cohash - especially if you are still brest feeding. Running to your doctor is not just for those who take and Advil with the slightest pang as another poster suggested. It a responsible thing to do. If you are not satisfied with your MDs treatment plan; seek a second opinion.
BTW ectopic pregnancy is when a pregnancy implants and develops out side the uterus - most commonly in a fallopian tube. Ectopic pregancy is very dangerous as eventually the tube can rupture and have life-threatening bleeding. If your symptoms have been going on for months - you do not have an ectopic pregnancy. It is an acute issue that often presents with severe lower abdominal pain, spotting or bleeding, lightheadedness does not present as a chronic issue like you have.
I hope you are feeling better soon! Hormones can really suck!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:25am
post #11 of 15

I think Beanbean is on the right track. I BF my son for 18 months, and had something similar when he weaned. Mine got better when I started taking vitamins again, exercising, and getting more sleep.

Shelle_75 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:54am
post #12 of 15

I definetly think that some healthier living will help me with the tired thing. I had slacked off on my prenatals and began taking those again last week, which have helped some. I also definelty think another anemia check is in order, the more I think about it.

Thank you all so much for your replies / support. I don't have many girlfriends to talk about stuff like this with, and my husband, although supportive and worried, is, well, you know, a guy. icon_rolleyes.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:05am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbean

... Running to your doctor is not just for those who take and Advil with the slightest pang as another poster suggested. It a responsible thing to do. ...

I wasn't suggesting that at all.

I'm picking up on where the OP said that she fully intends to see her doc but just wants to hear of any similar experiences and solutions. From my experience working with women, particularly ante and post partum, I know that some women will find empowerment and clarity by learning about what they're experiencing. Other women - which in my experience are often those that are more comfortable taking medication for common aches and pains - will never be reassured unless they see a doctor. Since the OP had talked about going to see her doctor at some time, my point was that if she belongs to the latter group, she won't find peace of mind until she has her doctor check her out.

Finding out more information is not exclusive of seeing a doctor. OTOH it can be a great help at consults in terms of knowing what questions to ask.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:09pm
post #14 of 15

hi shelle,
going thru something very similar to your situation. have been to both my gp and ob-gyn and they are pretty sure it is hormones causing the heaving bleeding and irregular periods (as well as anemia). they ran blood tests and confirmed hormones are a bit out of whack (though those tests can be widely variable so they are only an indicator, not the final word). at the doctor's orders, i am going for a ultra-sound next week to make sure nothing is escaping attention.
it is probably nothing for both of us but hormones, but don't put off calling. ok?
diane

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #15 of 15

I'm going through something very similar. I'm breastfeeding my son and he is one month old. My period started coming on and off and I was emotional and crying and called my doctor and he said it is the hormones from breastfeeding. Everytime I missed a feeding I noticed I would get emotional and my period would be real heavy. Maybe it's because you are weaning and your body is confused.

Karema

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%