Calling All Cakeball Experts...mine Always Look Like C**p...

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 1:18pm by BakeLoveMom

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:29am
post #1 of 10

I'm not sure if it is my technique or the chocolate I am using, but my cake balls are not neat and pretty like others on this site. They are yummy though. I have tried it a few ways. I do roll the balls and freeze them, I got that much down, but the I go wrong. The first time I made them I used left over ganache and I poured it over them, messy yet tasty, definetly nothing I could sell. The second time I melted milk chocolate chips and dipped them in that. The mixture seemed too thick, maybe I should add butter??? I just thought I would ask the experts and save my self some time and $$$. If some would could help that would be great. Oh, and I do place them on a wire rack over a cookie sheet.

Sarah

9 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:22am
post #2 of 10

go to recipes, then fondant, then poured fondant, very good recipes, that will cover your cake balls and look and taste good just add flavoring. icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:15am
post #3 of 10

I always thin my chocolate with shortening.

tatorchip Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 10

how do you do that Rylan if you don't mind telling me, I thank you

Rainbow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:45am
post #5 of 10

I use Merkens chocolate coating. It coats really well and no need to thin iticon_smile.gif I don't freeze mine. If I I have to use Wilton melting chocolate , I add a tsp of shortening. I just make,roll, and dip. I use a chocolate melting pot and the Wilton chocolate fork to dip. I then place them on a piece of waxed paper and then pop into the freezer no more than 3 mins to set the chocolate. I think the melting pot is my suggestion the chocolate stays the right temp and they aren't expensive. Mine cost $15.00 at Hobby Lobby. HTH. I have some in my pics.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:19am
post #6 of 10

I just add shortening to the chocolate. Once the shortening has melted then the consistency of chocolate will change.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:51am
post #7 of 10

Hope this helps.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:21am
post #8 of 10

I too add a small amount of shortening to my chocolate.

tatorchip Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:47am
post #9 of 10

Thanks xstitcher and Rylan
Deborah

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much, I will try it again soon, you guys do a great job. icon_smile.gif
Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%