First Petit Four Order

Decorating By emma_jada Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm by Iva1976

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:32am
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirlcantuck

Thanks for posting all the different links and info. Based on what I have seen and read, THIS IS A LOT OF WORK!
My question is --has anyone use the simple surgar on carved cakes to deal with the crumbs? Does it cause the cake to be hard? does the sugar create a crust?

Thanks!

Do you mean simple syrup? If so, it doesn't crust or harden, it moistens, so I don't see how it would help with crumbs.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

emma_jada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_jada Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:15am
post #32 of 44

I tried it with my second batch. I dropped a few in and the cake was soggy and even dripped when bitten into. The others I just dipped the sides in. It didn't seem to make a difference in the crumbs though. I did find this video on you tube

dips his in. I didn't try this. Has anyone else?

Any tips on getting the sides smooth? I froze my cake before I cut it. Is it best to cut with a serrated knife? It seemed to add more crumbs to the sides.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:32pm
post #33 of 44

I use a chef's knife to cut them and spoon the frosting over them. I've never dipped them, but there was a old thread here where someone had quite the system for dipping... I can't find it now, but can look again tonight...

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:53pm
post #34 of 44

I also "spoon" the icing on them, that was the only way I could get complete and even coverage on them. I still cringe when I get an order for them!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:22pm
post #35 of 44

leahs had shared her technique...I tried it and LOVE IT!(thanks Leah!)
4th post down...
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-612265-skewer.html

scroll down...she shares(CC member too!) how she ices her's
http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/search/label/petit%20fours

OMG! Great article about Leah and her works...B&B et al

http://www.epicurean.com/articles/tea-cakes.html

In the second to the last paragraph, in the left side column, she shares how she does it...

emma_jada Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:01pm
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

Check and see if you can find tube of CK in black. If not melt some dark chocolate candy disks and add black OIL to color. Water may make it sieze.

Can u use wilton gel to color the candy? I only have wilton stuff around here. The one store that carried CK that i knew about closed. icon_sad.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #37 of 44

I have used Wilton candy coloring OIL (does it come in black?) Don't know about the regular gel or pastes. Why not try it on a small amt and let us know what happens? Has anyone checked the candy or regular icings located with cupcake and cake decos at the regular market? I think the brand would be Betty Crocker. The whole point is to get a reliable black and red SOMETHING for decorating petits fours.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm
post #38 of 44

regular gel colours are water based, and will not work with the chocolate, it has to be oil based.

i diped mine - i think it was in the bakarella link? finger on bottom, thumb on top, dip each side, and spoon over the top.

whether simple syrup really helps with crumbs or not, im not convinced, maybe they do - but with petit fours, they are supposed to be very moist, and its hard to get moist cake into tiny layers so you need the help!
xx

emma_jada Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:04pm
post #39 of 44

I need red and black decoration of some sort, I was thinking stripes or polka dots. I have red candy melts so that is covered. The black on the other hand... are there any options besides an oil color? I have a wilton gel black, should i try royal icing or the petit four pourable icing with that? Will fondant tint black easily if it is a small amount?

minicuppie Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:17pm
post #40 of 44

Maybe RI would work. Fondant type icings never seem to get darker than pastel in my experience.

emma_jada Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm
post #41 of 44

Thank all of ya'll so much for your help. The order is to be picked up Saturday. I'll be glad when this is over!

minicuppie Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:27pm
post #42 of 44

Does this mean we are finished?

emma_jada Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:53pm
post #43 of 44

...as long as I don't run into any problems with my "final" batch. Oh goodness... the anxiety is going to kill me. I think I better wait until my husband gets home to hold my crying newborn or the petit fours might not make it!!

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm
post #44 of 44

Can't wait to see the pics!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%