Making Fondant Dark Black

Decorating By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 1:12am by sugarMomma

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:44am
post #1 of 7

I have a lady bug cake coming up and was wondering how to get dark black fondant. i can't buy the premade stuff where i live.
Thanks

6 replies
KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:51am
post #2 of 7

Either start with chocolate fondant and color it black or mix green, purple, blue and black into white fondant. In either case let the fondant rest overnight to intensify the black color. (It could look dark grey or when you first mix in the colors)

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:52am
post #3 of 7

Start with chocolate and add black to it.....or when I make MMf I add the black color to the melted MM before I add the PS.

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:53am
post #4 of 7

There is a great recipe for black marshmallow fondant in the recipes section. Starts with chocolate chips.

inspireddecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspireddecorator Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:59am
post #5 of 7

I start by coloring it blue and then I add black, it doesn't take as much black to color it as it's already tinted.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #6 of 7

If you don't want it to be chocolate flavored you can use Americolor Super Black if it's available in your area. Add it to the melted MM. It requires less than Wilton to get dark black. As a PP mentioned, the color will intensify over a day or so.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #7 of 7

If you have time, order it online. Easier than making it, but if you have to, make MMF and add the color to melted MM before adding the powdered sugar for sure. If you use Michele Foster's recipe, add color to liquid stage before adding PS also. Americolor super black, preferably if you can get it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%