Perfectly Smooth Buttercream

Decorating By sweet-treats1975 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 1:17pm by ShayShay

emma_jada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_jada Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:44am
post #31 of 49

what is IMBC and Smbc? I'm assuming BC is butter cream...

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:47am
post #32 of 49

imbc is italian meringue and smbc is swiss meringue. they are cooked buttercreams using granulated sugar, butter and granulates sugar. they are non crusting and very light and creamy and yummy.

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:33am
post #33 of 49

I know this has nothing to do with the icing, but I'm a real newbie to all this and was wondering how many layers of cake do they use to make their cake tiers that tall? They are such beautiful cakes!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:28am
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

the trick to perfctly smooth cakes:

1) practice
2) a smooth recipe in the right consistency
3) practice
4) hot bench scraper
5) practice
6) viva, paper, smoothers
7) practice

and don't forget to practice! icon_smile.gif

I agree with this 200%, I have been using Sharon's recipe & tips ever since I join CC. As and time as went by, it has gotten better for me...not prefect yet in my eyes icon_smile.gif , but better then I use to do. This is what works best for me. I also agree with the other posters about her DVD's, they are great!

Amazing looking cakes ladies! now if I could do that I would be a happier caker icon_lol.gif
God Bless,
Sharon

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:29am
post #35 of 49

I have some hi ratio. But I really struggle with using it. The reason why is as I start getting older I realize how bad trans fats are for the heart. I really want to make the crisco work just have not figured it out yet. Also I still had trouble with air in my icing even after using sweetex. I followed sugarshacks method too.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:37am
post #36 of 49

are you using paddle attachment

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:41am
post #37 of 49

wow the pics are great............very nice......

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:09pm
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonterrierlady

I have some hi ratio. But I really struggle with using it. The reason why is as I start getting older I realize how bad trans fats are for the heart. I really want to make the crisco work just have not figured it out yet. Also I still had trouble with air in my icing even after using sweetex. I followed sugarshacks method too.

It's prettyy failproof of you follow the directions to the "t".

bostonterrierlady Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:28pm
post #39 of 49

I did follow the directions. I had air bubbles before you even turn it up to a higher speed to let it run awhile.

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm
post #40 of 49

Ok...maybe Sharon can help ya out with it then.

tab_stout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab_stout Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:51pm
post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

are you using paddle attachment

Are you supposed to use the paddle attachment when making SugarShack's buttercream? I just made it this past weekend, and I used the whisk attachment. Please let me know if I did this wrong.

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:56pm
post #42 of 49

No whisk...that's the WORST thing in the world. It incorporates air. Exactly what you want to avoid.

tab_stout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab_stout Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

No whisk...that's the WORST thing in the world. It incorporates air. Exactly what you want to avoid.

Thank you so much for letting me know. I guess I should have checked into that before I made it. icon_rolleyes.gif I wondered why it had air bubbles.
I am somewhat of a self taught baker (never taken any classes - except for home-ec in high school) So I am learning so much since I joined CC.

I appreciate all the great advise you give!

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:21pm
post #44 of 49

Buttercream air bubbles and Crisco Dilema :::

Edna on You tube has a awsome Buttercream tutorial video that addresses the Air bubble issue and the crisco issue.... on the Crisco side she says to use whole milk in your frosting instead of the water if you use the zero transfat crisco and you will get the same consistancy as using the other trans fat type..If you havent seen this tutorial it is really informative! I have heart disease and im only 47 so this is super important to me as well

I would just go to you tube and type in Ednas buttercream tutorial video and she addresses both issues brought up in this discussion and watch her other videos if you havent yet !!! She is such an amazing teacher!

Happy Caking All icon_cool.gif)

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #45 of 49

antonia74 how do you get your IMBC so white? Mine is never a nice bright white.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayShay

antonia74 how do you get your IMBC so white? Mine is never a nice bright white.

A lot has to do with the brand of butter you are using...some butters are very yellow, others more pale or nearly white.

Also, if you put the butter in a small mixer bowl and whip it for a while, it will lighten in color a lot....then just chill a bit if it is too soft for the IMBC.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #47 of 49

botson, can you tell me exaclty whwat you used. how much pf each, brands and the rpocess you used to mix it? It could be just one little glitch causing you problems. and what size your mixer bowl is too.

have you seen the vidoe of me making it? seeing it might help:

bostonterrierlady Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:22am
post #48 of 49

I follwed your method. I do not think I turned it up to 6 though.

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:17pm
post #49 of 49

Thanks Jeff_Arnett I'll give that a try. I never would of thought to whip it first! Great tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%