Most Ridiculous Cake Item

Decorating By CutiePieCakes-Ontario Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 1:07pm by PuffCake

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm
post #91 of 126

Fabulous post, gave me the needed hysterical giggles I needed.

The stuff, I bought, used once and will now be sent to a consignment shop.

Wilton Products
The icing sculptor, great idea, works if all the parts actually stay in it's holder. Unfortunately, they inevitably fall out when you only have one inch left to do on the cake.

Tip covers, it's just easier to buy a big roll of cling wrap from Sam's or Costco and it works better.

Fondant punch, another item going to consignment shop. Used once and hated it.

Flower scissors, useless. Too light weight. Blunt scissors purchased for preschool and elementary kids, so much better.

Dusting sac, didn't buy because a knee hi stockings work.

Rolling cutter with spacers, just sucks.

Tilting turntable, if it actually locks won't spin properly. PITA to clean.

Tool boxes, old style, going to consignment shop.

Favorite stuff

Privately made turntable. Can handle a 16 inch round, spins evenly and level. Bought over 20 years ago.

Cheap spackle knives, from any hardware store. I buy 5", thin and flexible.

My electric knife. Great for 3 D carving or cutting square cakes. I like to call it my kitchen chainsaw.

All my old stuff for cutting patterns, when I was a fashion design major.

Dehydrator, it can be used for other things, besides jerky.

Today, my Dremel tool.

Not related to cake stuff; yet! My 2 quart crockpot with the removable ceramic liner. Approx. $10 at Wally World. It 's only flaw is it only comes with a plastic lid.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:59pm
post #92 of 126

I think the Wilton Castle Kit as sold is a PITA. There are many things on their website that show you what you can do with the different pans, accessories, etc. and there is no way in the real "cake world" some of those things can be accomplished and get the same look they are showing you examples of by using real cake. I'm assuming the samples they are showing you that they are using dummy cakes. The towers of the castle will not stand up/hold up on their own and travel any distance over 2 inches without falling over if you do what they suggest. Many people, including myself, have had to rig up the towers by drilling holes and using dowels to help secure them.....Who exactly is thinking up these brilliant ideas? I would like to meet them and ask them if they've ever really used REAL CAKE to create some of the examples they show!

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:16pm
post #93 of 126

I can't WAIT to get home and toss out all these things that I thought I was just too DUMB to use!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Think of all the new space I'll have in the cabinets!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:41pm
post #94 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

The only brownie item I bought was the brown silicone pan with the little squares. I haven't actually tried to bake cake in it (why not just cut a large brownie up into little squares?) but I have done a trial run for those sugar tiles someone did on a FN challenge cake. It worked excellent! It was my first run-in with sugar, so I'll need some practice.

I got this, thought it would be good for piete fours, but after trying it once I'm not a big fan of it. I'd be interested in hearing more about how you used it for sugar titles. I missed seeing them on FN.
Sherri

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:44pm
post #95 of 126

........like egg trays better for formers because they give it a cupped shape without being perfectly round.......
........been using the cardboard egg cartons for flower formers, I cut them up and use them individually,............

YIKES!! icon_sad.gif Don't let a health dept inspector EVER see you using them icon_sad.gif The chance of transferring salmonella is super great ! icon_sad.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:51pm
post #96 of 126

........use for the flower formers, shared by another CCer, was to use them for marking equal lines around cakes for doing basketweave...I don't remember who shared that one, but it works great too (the plastic keeps its' rigidity and form better than pt tubes.........

I think that was my suggestion. I've used and taught that for years when I was teaching Wilton classes.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:37am
post #97 of 126

I haven't used it, but my instructor said that the Cake Dividing Set from, guess who, is useless, especially on round cakes. You have to curve it around the cake, and quite often it falls out of the handle (usually when it's still touching the cake).

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:56am
post #98 of 126

No offense to the good instructors, but the instructors.

The money I have spent retaking Wilton classes, because the instructor was more interested in selling W. products, then actually teaching me.

I've been asked to be instructor at least 5 times in the last 2 years. Always get shot down, because I won't blatantly tell anyone that Wilton is the best and only the best. I won't do this because they aren't the best.

My first experience, for a Wilton class, I actually owned every thing but the clown heads. She told me, if I didn't show up with all Wilton; she would not teach me.

Now that I want to expand my knowledge, my instructors; say if you show up with Wilton, then don't show at all.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #99 of 126

[quote="indydebi"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

The most famous one in our collection is the spatula that you flip eggs with. It had a button on the handle. Press the button and the flipper part fanned out on both sides to make a triple size flipper! Great for pancakes, he said!

I said it looked like a kinky sex toy. icon_eek.gif

I always wondered how someone could take this item to a banker, ask for a loan to mass produce it .... and the banker says, "Yeah! That'll sell BIG!" icon_confused.gif

I have that!!!! My mom also has a knack for finding bizarre kitchen items that, for some reason, she thinks I need to have. I love it for making quesadillas. It can hold the quesadilla in the air while I add more butter to the pan. icon_smile.gif

For his birthday, my mom gave my hubby a spatula with a spring-loaded handle, like you'd see on an ice cream scoop. Squeeze the handle and the spatula turns 90 degrees. No wrist action required! LOL

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #100 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

No offense to the good instructors, but the instructors.

The money I have spent retaking Wilton classes, because the instructor was more interested in selling W. products, then actually teaching me.

I've been asked to be instructor at least 5 times in the last 2 years. Always get shot down, because I won't blatantly tell anyone that Wilton is the best and only the best. I won't do this because they aren't the best.

My first experience, for a Wilton class, I actually owned every thing but the clown heads. She told me, if I didn't show up with all Wilton; she would not teach me.

Now that I want to expand my knowledge, my instructors; say if you show up with Wilton, then don't show at all.

My instructor said that at Michael's, they are told to push the Wilton stuff (as far as I know, that's all they sell). And, even though she was teaching the Wilton method,it was thru the local community college, and she would tell us whast was good and what wasn't - and she's very, very talented.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:15am
post #101 of 126

Don't get me wrong. I retook all the classes and retook the classes. I still suck.

My thing is they won't even tell you there is something out there. When I started. I asked about GP and fondant, in the beginning. It was eleven years ago, they didn't have a clue. 5 years ago, they wouldn't cough up any information, unless it was to bash.

My favorite, was when I was trying to learn the Wilton Rose. Couldn't get it to save my soul. Did they tell me Wilton has a video that you can replay over the internet? Nope! Did I find that little gem, yep. My roses are seriously always lopsided, but I can actually do the Wilton rose.

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #102 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe-dreams

I use skewers,too! They are so much better than toothpicks because of the length. I get them at the See Spot section at Target for a dollar (when they are in stock).

I think the most useless thing is the stupid cake leveler. That damn thing just doesn't work...EVER. At least not for me icon_lol.gif

the small Wilton leveler works great....it's the large one that doesn't work. I gave up using that thing long ago!

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:03am
post #103 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

A while ago I noticed in the Wilton aisle that they have pre-cut pieces of wax paper to use when making flowers on the nail. 5o or 75 squares for $3...Yikes!!

I've had quite a few students that have bought those.....I'm always surprised!

In the Course 2 class whenever anyone uses those, their RI flowers stick. From now on, I'm going to tell my class NOT to use those for the flowers.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:03am
post #104 of 126

I also use both of the wilton levelers. I level my cakes while they are in the pan, so I have never had a problem with the blade bending.

oh, I forgot about the icing sculptor, that is a joke

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:33am
post #105 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

........use for the flower formers, shared by another CCer, was to use them for marking equal lines around cakes for doing basketweave...I don't remember who shared that one, but it works great too (the plastic keeps its' rigidity and form better than pt tubes.........

I think that was my suggestion. I've used and taught that for years when I was teaching Wilton classes.

Thank you! It's been a while since that thread...but I did try out that tip, and it worked perfectly. I can tell you now, thank you for sharing it!

selfconclusion12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selfconclusion12 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:16am
post #106 of 126

Ohh I got one!! When I was first starting my MIL bought me the betty crocker cake decorating kit. WOW. Terrible!!! The bags were square are not triangle, and it made no sense to me.

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/bc_cmplt_decor_set.html

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:18am
post #107 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfconclusion12

Ohh I got one!! When I was first starting my MIL bought me the betty crocker cake decorating kit. WOW. Terrible!!! The bags were square are not triangle, and it made no sense to me.

I agree - my BF bought that for me when he was making a purchase on Amazon a "'cause I love you gift" he said and it only cost $10 to buy. What a shock when we found out it cost him $50 to ship to Australia - I opened it and quickly hid it so he cant see that I refuse to use it!

At least I might get some use out of the lettering spacer...

Nel

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:05pm
post #108 of 126
Quote:

I'd been decorating cakes for about 4 years and one year for Christmas, my mom bought a starter decorator's kit for me "from my little brother". Plastic tips, not metal. It was terrible. I mean, I wouldn't even buy this stuff for someone who'd never made a cake before, let alone for someone who was doing it as a business. icon_eek.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #109 of 126
Quote:

my MIL bought that for me too! What a piece of cr&p! I tossed it all except the lettering spacer & the pattern poker things. The bags were so thin, there was no way they wouldn't bust open. The tip made you pipe at a bent angle. (You're holding it straight up, but it has a 90* bend so it's pointed at the cake.)

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #110 of 126

This isn't a cake tool, but the stoopidest tool ever (and I have one!). My mom gave me a long rod with a little spatulay-looking thing on the end, but the spatula part is horizontal instead of vertical. Viola! It's a bottom-of-the-ketsup-bottle scraper tool! Can anyone top that??? icon_biggrin.gif

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:50pm
post #111 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinkema

This isn't a cake tool, but the stoopidest tool ever (and I have one!). My mom gave me a long rod with a little spatulay-looking thing on the end, but the spatula part is horizontal instead of vertical. Viola! It's a bottom-of-the-ketsup-bottle scraper tool! Can anyone top that??? icon_biggrin.gif

ROFL...no, I can't stop laughing long enough to think about topping this one...the way you tell it is soooo funny!!!! Thanks for a much needed laugh.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm
post #112 of 126

The letter press from Wilton is one of the worst items I have. The letters keep moving and shifting.

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #113 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

The letter press from Wilton is one of the worst items I have. The letters keep moving and shifting.

I use the letters, but not the thing they "slide" into...it's horrible. I do use the letters alot though, because my handwriting is not so good, lol! You have to be so careful to not press the letters too much or it makes awful looking impressions in the bc.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm
post #114 of 126
Quote:

I use small pieces of scotch tape to hold the letter tiles to the holder. It's an extra step, but it gets the job done!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:34pm
post #115 of 126

Here's my all-time most useless non-cake item:

A molcajete which was given to me by my father-in-law as a birthday gift because I like to cook. It's like a big mortar and pestle made out of cinder block stuff. Really useful...a couple of hundred years ago, maybe. I kept it under the kitchen sink until I quit talking to him, then I took it to work and used it as a doorstop.

anney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anney Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:22pm
post #116 of 126

this has been really funny to read but I have to admit I have no idea what some of the things are that you are all talking about, maybe we don't have the same stuff available over her in GB. But on the vexed subject of cake testers- I have a fantastic one, it's metal & is ever so slightly thicker at one end but this thick bit tapers to a point & is coated with some kind of heat-reactive paint on the first 3/4 inch or so which is almost black in colour. Just above the dark paint there is a narrow band of red. You insert the tester into the cake for 5 seconds then remove, if the dark tip has turned the same shade of red as the band above it the cake is done. If the tip is still dark leave the cake in for a little longer. I t is really usefull for testing deep cakes & for those times when a skewer would come out clean but the cake would really benefit from a few more minutes in the oven. I got it from a company called Lakeland Ltd, I have loads of gadgets from them & love them all.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #117 of 126

I also have the letter press, in both block and italic letters. To keep the letters from shifting, I put a small ball of fondant on each end. Works okay, but don't press too hard into the icing, or the balls will leave an indent.

Anney - I think I would love that cake tester. Sounds far more useful than the Wilton one. (www.wilton.com if you want to see the things we're talking about.)

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #118 of 126

I have the betty crocker kit too, it was a gift from a friend when I was first starting... I use the impression things some but not the other stuff.

Definitly the bands for the fondant rolling pins..... hate those things.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #119 of 126
Quote:

I have the letter press things too, but they work just fine for me because I don't use the holder gadget. I lay a long piece of masking tape on my table, sticky side up, and after making sure the letters are in the right order I stick the flat backs of the letters on the tape, spaced however close or far apart needed. Press down gently to make sure everything is stuck well and fold over the extra tape on the ends to make "handles". Pick up the whole thing and flip it over. Smooth the tape on the back to assure everything is secure and then press your word(s) onto the cake. You can even use this method on the sides of a round cake.

Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say.

tigersluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigersluv Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm
post #120 of 126
Quote:
Quote:

In the Course 2 class whenever anyone uses those, their RI flowers stick. From now on, I'm going to tell my class NOT to use those for the flowers.

I had this same problem in my Course II class, I thought they did something wrong or they used parchment paper instead of the Wilton paper. I think you have to be crazy to buy those things anyway. It is super easy to cut your own squares.

When I took Course I, I sat in front of the TV and cut squares for what seemed like hours. Then in Course II, I had a different instructor and she taught me how to fold and slice with my icing knife and then use my scissors to cut them in 1" pieces (I teach all of my students this technique).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%