Rose Levy's Mousseline Buttercream

Decorating By sweetbaker1019 Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 4:01am by sweetbaker1019

sweetbaker1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker1019 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 8

i was wondering if anyone has used this butter cream before and how they liked it.... its from her book "the cake bible" it looks like it would be great!!! please let me know!! im going to be putting it on a wedding cake no fondant icon_smile.gif

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:33am
post #2 of 8

Discussion of "Mousseline the Magic Buttercream" from Rose's blog:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2007/04/mousseline_buttercream_in_a_to.html

HTH

tofusalem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tofusalem Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 8

I'm in the same boat. I'm making a wedding cake for my daughter, and have been experimenting with Rose's MBC. It seems to hold up very well in my test cakes. It does take a little practice with making the syrup, but i've found that it comes together nicely, freezes beautifully. I haven't decided whether or not I'm using this for a crumb coat and MMF, or just the buttercream. I'm also going to try to add melted white chocolate to the MBC. I'm definitely using the MBC with added Chocolate Ganache for my filling. YUM! Do half and half for this.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 8

I've made it, it's pretty much the same as Italian Meringue Buttercream. If fact, it was because of her that I started making it.

In fact, most Italian Meringue Buttercreams on here are just about the same recipe.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 8

Isn't it funny how some people can call the same thing by different names or use the same name for many different things. To me (as I learned in culinary school), a mousseline is a pastry cream-based buttercream (also sometimes called a German buttercream), not meringue based.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 8

It is funny....and isn't Rose Levy the one that makes Swiss Meringue Buttercream with egg yolks and begins with a cream anglaise, but that's not how most people on here do it.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:05am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

It is funny....and isn't Rose Levy the one that makes Swiss Meringue Buttercream with egg yolks and begins with a cream anglaise, but that's not how most people on here do it.

REALLY?? That's one of the strangest things I've ever herd! Frankly I'm not a fan of Beranbaum... not her professional work (cookbooks) nor as a person (had a bad personal experience with her).

sweetbaker1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker1019 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:01am
post #8 of 8

lol i dont like her book very much but i thought since i have it ill try something out of it! lol and i did just make her buttercream and it is so similar to SMBC ... but it was an ok recipe dont know if i would use it again. i had alot of air bubbles in it and i think i might have mixed it to fast but i dont know lol icon_biggrin.gif thanks for all your help guys!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%