How Long Can I Leave Cake In Pan

Decorating By ginbug Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 3:50pm by idgalpal

ginbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginbug Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 8

My stand-up lamb pan says to let it cool in the pan for at least 4 hours. I'm waiting for my husband to bring home non-flammable string from work (nothing even close in the house unfortunately), so that I can follow the instructions to tightly secure the pans together.

This sets me back hours and hours....so cooling for 4 hours puts me at about midnight....a little late for dealing with cake.

Can I leave it in the pan until morning, or will all be lost? I might wait til morning to bake it to avoid the issue, but I always like to do it a day ahead, in case something goes wrong...at least if I screw it up tonight, I have tomorrow morning to figure it out.

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:57am
post #2 of 8

I have never heard of leaving a cake in a pan for 4 hours. That's crazy. I would think you could leave it in until morning if you can leave it in for 4 hours. (Maybe just get up earlier than you normally would).

Good luck!

ginbug Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:12am
post #3 of 8

I thought that was weird too....but those were the directions right from Wilton. I thought the cake would be more sticking to the sides than it is....that's why I was afraid to leave it like that. But it's nice and loose, resting in it's little lamb pan....going to tent it with foil, and if the real cats don't find it in the night, it'll turn into a cat cake tomorrow!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginbug

I thought that was weird too....but those were the directions right from Wilton. I thought the cake would be more sticking to the sides than it is....that's why I was afraid to leave it like that. But it's nice and loose, resting in it's little lamb pan....going to tent it with foil, and if the real cats don't find it in the night, it'll turn into a cat cake tomorrow!

Non-flammable string....naa....just regular old kitchen twine like you tie up a roast with [from the grocery store] is all you need.

You can leave the cake in the pan that long....just make sure you prepare it well with a good pan release [I like Pam for Baking now].

When ready to unmold, warm the pan a bit over a stove burner to loosen the cake, then shake it lightly a few times back and forth, then unmold.

I know Sylvia Weinstock says she lets her cakes cool completely before removing them from the pan.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:39am
post #5 of 8

I learned from Wilton to take 3D cake out of the oven and let set 10 minutes and then release front and back from pan and then leave the back cake in pan laying down and remove front pan and leave to completely cool or til you are ready to take it out. Does that make sense? It always works for me! Grease and flour well before adding batter.

ginbug Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:24am
post #6 of 8

Kitchen twine is what I wanted to use....but I didn't have any and ended up driving to 2 grocery stores and one specialty baking shop, with no results. When I asked the employees about it, they all looked at me like I'd grown another head!

Don't people use kitchen twine anymore? I never have, but I'll buy it the first time I see it. We ended up using 100% cotton string that my husband picked up, and soaked it first. All I had in the house was yarn (I think it's wool) and ribbon, materials unknown! I just wasn't sure.

There is a happy naked lamb on my counter...this afternoon he turns into an orange cat!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 8

Flexible wire works also and can be found in the craft or hardware store.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 8

You should be able to find kitchen string almost anywhere closer to Thanksgiving. I've gotten it at Fred Meyer and Cost Plus, also our local fancy grocery store which would be comparible to Whole Foods has it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%