Do You Really Need Nsf Rerfrigerator & Freezer To Pass I

Business By kakethings Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 1:45pm by Lisa540

kakethings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakethings Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:53am
post #1 of 17

TRYING TO GET WHAT I NEED TO GET IN A BUILDING BUT I ALREADY HAVE 2 BIG FREEZERS AND A REFRIGERATOR. THEY NOT THE BIG STAINLESS STEEL BUT THEY WORK. PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN FIND MORE MONEY IF I NEED TO. THANKS

16 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 17

I don't know the answer to your question, but I want to!

It might be helpful to post where you intend to operate. The answer will likely be "it depends on where ...", as the laws vary from state to state, and even from county to county, so the more experienced CCers say.

Good luck!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 17

I have heard that areas in California can be particularly picky about stuff like this. Depends on the individual inspectors.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 17

What do your state health department rules and guidelines say?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 17

All I can say is, "Not in KY."

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 17

Three things:

1. Thank you for coming back, Leahs!!!!!

2. Thank goodness we in KY don't need whatever kind of frig/freezer the OP was talking about,

3. And thank goodness Leahs knows all this stuff!

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

3. And thank goodness Leahs knows all this stuff!

I agree 100% cause I will hopefully be opening a shop soon, and I am personally very thankful that we KYians have the amazing Leahs to ask questions... lol

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 17

An NSF refrig/freezer is a "commercial" one. Rounded corners, wire shelving inside, easy to clean and sanitize and $$. Motor mounted either top or bottom typically called a "reach in" if free standing or a "walk in" if installed where you actually walk into it.

::sigh:: I'd love to have one.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 17

and on the eighth day -- Eve being a bargain shopper ---

started ebay and Craigslist

---

you'd be surprised at the bargains to be found there -- just recently a restaurant sold out for $25K -- EVERYTHING -- 3compartment and other prep sinks, prep tables, ice maker, the refrigerators in question, same style freezers, all the booths/tables/chairs, serving counters, coffee makers, etc.

all you needed was a building and plumbing & electrical rough in!

the catch: you buy it, you haul it away.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #10 of 17

1. Thank you for coming back, Leahs!!!!!

I'm not trying to hijack the post but did I miss something? What?

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:42pm
post #11 of 17

Well I read some other posts about the matter above mentioned, but I still missed what happened. Oh well though
At least leahs is here, that is the important part.

About the fridge, it depends on your county as already stated. I have to have it, which completely bites!!!!

I hope you don't since you already have the others, that would be a terrible waste.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #12 of 17

In my county in WA the health dept wanted all the make/model info on all my equipment. When they looked at my frig. they told me it wasn't NSF....when I bought it online it was described as a "Commercial" frig so I was kinda mad and did a little research.

It wasn't NSF but it was manufactured in Canada and had the Canadian equivalent of the US NSF (actually a little more strict than NSF) so I provided the HD with that info and asked for a re-consideration of their requirement.

They said that no one had ever presented that much info to them, and after looking into it they agreed with me and let me use it AND they kept all the info in a special file just in case someone else had the same issue!

But, to be safe wherever you are it is always best to go for the NSF equipment if you can.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:17am
post #13 of 17

In Calif, yes.

I bought a small (new) one to pass inspection. With tax and shipping I paid about $600. I use that for my eggs, sour cream, milk. Then I have a large regular fridge/freezer that I use for things like chilling cookies before baking.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:38am
post #14 of 17

In Idaho, yes. The health inspector told me it's because they're more dependable than residential refrigerators at holding the required temperature of under 41 degrees.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

In Idaho, yes. The health inspector told me it's because they're more dependable than residential refrigerators at holding the required temperature of under 41 degrees.

Oh I can totally attest to that! As a caterer, you can imagine that I have a lot of produce in my walk in commercial frig. In my home 'frig, the celery turns to a limpy sponge within about a week. In my store 'frig, I can keep celery WAY longer, which reduces my cost. (less waste).

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:52pm
post #16 of 17

Check with your local HD, it varies from place to place. I had to have NSF everything. it cost more for sure but supposedly is more reliable and sturdy as someone else pointed out.

When I first opened I found a new 2 door frig on ebay (and lots of other stuff too). Then I found out that in order to make cheesecakes I had to have a walk-in since that brings the temp down faster. So, I have that too now.

Granted it does come in handy to have so much refrigeration but it is better if you budget for it in the first place.

So, I said all that to say, ASK ASK ASK. Then check the fine print. icon_biggrin.gif

Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:45pm
post #17 of 17

I just went through this same thing! And the above posters speak the truth! It does vary. I spoke with our HD lady who does the inspections and she let me slide in without one. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%