When You First Started Out...

Decorating By buggus Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm by hensor

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:44am
post #1 of 18

How was it? Tell me your story, I need the motivation to keep going.

I'm overwhelmed. I have a toddler who is high-maintenance, and a full time job, and I'm trying to get this cake business off the ground, all while trying to work fulltime, parent and just "be". I'm so tired. I also am having troubles financially too right now, so that adds more stress. And due to the finances being tight, I'm not able to invest into my new biz as much as I would like to, until things get settled again. I'm so bummed and feel like maybe I shouldn't be doing this? Although I LOVE it, and it's great extra income.

So..tell me how your stories are, and how you've made out.

17 replies
vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:01am
post #2 of 18

Can I just tell you that I have been there too - I have 3 small children (6,3 and 19 mo) I work FT for the Government (no small task, talk about STRESS icon_lol.gif ), commute 1.5 hours one way. We also own a construction business. Times are tough, and some nights PB & J is for dinner. I get requests all the time, pace yourself. Birthdays, Celebrations, Weddings etc.. will ALWAYS be there - you dont need to do them ALL. I do what I can, when I can and I make some decent extra $$ icon_biggrin.gif (which I put right back into the cakes).

BTW - Your cakes looks GREAT ! you are good - you can do this!

When I feel like giving up and walking away, I just take time to think about "why" I do this to begin with. I LOVE to create and bring smiles to people. Its what "Mommy" does, and its my "Mommy" time. I deserve it, I earned it.

Its a hobby for me, a side business and I am the boss. thumbs_up.gif and I'm not the only baker in town - spread the love ! LOL

Hang in there, and if you ever want to talk - email me !

HTH - VICKI

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:42am
post #3 of 18

I applaud all you ladies that work full time, have babies AND are trying to start a cake business.

I knew 20 yrs ago that with 2 small children and hairdressing that there was no way I could have gotten my cake business off the ground.

To satisfy my hunger for caking/baking I just baked for every family/friend, birthday, wedding, shower, graduation etc. You might say I was in training for 20 yrs. LOL!!

Now 25 yrs later and both kids in college, I have plenty of time to dedicate to this business.

It's hard to do it all when the kids are small without getting burnt out.....and believe me the kids grow up SO FAST. Enjoy these years because they will FLY by.

For me, waiting for the kids to get older was the only way for me to keep my sanity and be the Mom/Wife that I wanted to be.

That's my story and what worked for my family.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 18

30 years ago, I worked a full time job, with lots of overtime, was considered a full time college student (carrying 4 classes a semester). I also had a part time job (only about 10-15 hours a week), 2 small kids, AND I decided to make wedding cakes. icon_eek.gif

So no sleep, tired, not enough hours in the day, overextended, over motivated ...... congratulations, you're normal! (although I think you have to be a little crazy to be "normal" in this industry! icon_lol.gif )

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 18

I was a fashion designer.. I got pregnant and I stop working to take care of my son. My best friend ask me if I wanted to take some classes with her. I always wanted to do this since I was a kid so I jump on that boat really fast..

I loved it from the very first day...never looked back..my son was a baby, but
I used to work nightimes while he slept
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

buggus Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #6 of 18

First off, thanks everyone for your feedback, it's really great to hear other peoples stories, so inspiring.

Edna, your story sounds so much like mine!! I have been baking forever, since I was a teen actually. I was off on Mat. leave, and decided to take Wilton classes to learn to make cool cakes for my son. I loved it from the first day too, and I'm not liking my regular job anymore, and thought this would be great for a career change. So, here I am, pursuing it. I just feel so tired though...lol I want this so much though, I just feel there is not enough time in a day!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:15am
post #7 of 18

Buggus - are you my twin?? I'm on mat leave too and decided to take Wilton courses and fell in love. I can't stop thinking about creating cakes and I am literally itching (in my spirit) to have a cake business. I went into the decorating classes knowing that this could be a viable side line for me but I didn't expect it to be so overwhelmingly enjoyable.

p.s. what part of Canada are you in? In Alberta, I would need to have a separate commercial kitchen at home or a bakery in order to be licensed and legal. Money is tight on leave and I can't justify the expense until a few months or a year from now. You're very lucky if you can bake from home right now. Enjoy this luxury! And KammKakes had some great advice re: pacing yourself. It's so hard with little ones to think about too.

kellyanne1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyanne1981 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 8:29am
post #8 of 18

its good to read these inspiring accounts!! i am a true beginner still, trying to get orders in, i have a 2 year old and i work full time! i am really concerned that i may start resenting something i enjoy so much, and that i would be pushing myself too far!! but by the lookes of it with hard work and determination you can do what ever you want (or should i say "have your cake and eat it!!) icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 18

I think that my son is very proud of my work, even though it takes some time away from him he can see the outcome on what I do. I think that the way I put so much effort in do a good job is a good thing for him to see and learn to be a very responsible man when he grows up..Or at least we hope...lol
I think he is very proud of what I do..and that does matter to me..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Motta Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm
post #10 of 18

Good point, Edna. I always knew my parents worked hard but didn't like their work. They were well-educated immigrants who had to take low-paying jobs in this country. Now my dad is doing something he loves and it makes such a difference to see him motivated and happy with his place in life. If I do the same, I hope my sons will be proud of me too.

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 18

What is it that compels women to not only do it all, but do it all perfectly? Mommy, wife, housekeeper, laundress, gardener, cook, baker extraordinaire, hostess, confidante, nurse, chauffeur, volunteer, employee, employer, accountant ... plus find the time to get our hair done, our brows waxed and toes painted?
Are we all nuts?
It's no wonder they're discovering women have more heart attacks nowadays!

tonedna Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 18

yeah... I got plans for my next heart attack somewhere in the middle of next month..
Edna icon_lol.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:18pm
post #13 of 18

Well said JOJO!! I do all my cake stuff when the baby is in bed. It is time consuming, expensive, and exhausting!!! icon_cry.gif Hard work pays off though. Keep on keeping on. thumbs_up.gif

buggus Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:58pm
post #14 of 18

JoJo, you are correct, we are nuts..lol

My reason for pursuing this is not only because I love it, but I want to quit my day job and do THIS full time, as well as be able to be home and walk my kids to school, etc. Unfortunately, I'm the "breadwinner" in our family and I'm forced to continue working at the job I can't stand. The money is amazing, but it's not what I love, and it's made me very ill during the years with the stress.

So, it's time to move on. And if this is what I have to do to get there, then I have to stick it out. I just get so overwhelmed sometimes and ask myself if it's worth it. But after reading all of your replies, I firmly believe that it is. Thank you all so much for your words.

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm
post #15 of 18

I am there with you, a full time job, a husband, a 3 year old and trying to start the business, at first I thought I could leave my job after the first year, but when I do the math, I am not there yet. I do not want to add the stress of how to pay the bills to all this. Go slowly, build a solid foundation first. Your family will thank you for it.

Deliciouslydivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deliciouslydivine Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:15pm
post #16 of 18

Maybe its fate, but i am going through these exact same thoughts right now. I am extremly new at this whole decorated cake hobby, my passion is " home-made cakes and slices" i do as a hobby ( i love it to bits) but have just started entering the " fondant world" ( i am sitting here in amazement ) at the cakes you guys have created.

I do my baking for friends and family but have been told i should go further but have only tried fondant or themed cakes a couple of times. But i too have 3 young children and 2 of then have medical issues that are time consuming, and trying to run our business ( we are in transport) along with a house and trying to be me ( is there ever a time for us as mums that we don't have something on our mind thats doesn't involve the kids, family or work?" I would love to go further but my thing is that i am not a professional ( i would love too be) but a lady/mum that just loves to cook and i get a kick out of seeing that i created something from scratch and the look and smiles on faces when they taste that cake or slice and know i did that!

Its not a cheap hobby either from what i am finding out (in the world of decorating) and thats one thing i guess that holds me back and the fact there is no one to look after the kids for me to attend a class so i am just looking at other people creations and trying to have a go and interpret them in my way.

I just wanted to add that i have only just become a member but i am already finding this site very addictive ( where am i going to find time to bake?) and thank you for all your stories.

Motta Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:56pm
post #17 of 18

I just wanted to add that i have only just become a member but i am already finding this site very addictive ( where am i going to find time to bake?) and thank you for all your stories.[/quote]

Welcome! Yes, it's addictive, isn't it? I just had to say that sometimes after the kids are asleep I get ready to start baking and then end up on CC so long that I just go to bed! Beware! icon_biggrin.gif

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm
post #18 of 18

It's nice to come on here and read that so many other people know exactly what your are going through or how stressful it can be sometimes to be baking and decorating around work schedules and kids schedules.

I am just a hobby baker for friends and family, so I try to incorporate my kids in the process as much as possible (or as long as I can stand it). I have found my 8 year old daughter is getting very good with her measuring, plus it helps her with her math icon_smile.gif

My kids love all the new cake shows on TV now too..My 4 year old told my grandma the other day that he was going to be the Cake Boss when he get bigger.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%