Will Fondant Bow Get Soggy?

Decorating By heavenscent Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm by millermom

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 7

Ok I did one of the big bows with fondant and floral wire oday looks great on top of buttercream. Girl is picking up cake today for baby shower on Saturday will it be ok or will it get soggy?
she is picking it up shortly
thanks

6 replies
Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 7

It should be fine, did you let it dry before you put it on the cake? I guess it also depends on your buttercream - it if has set a little you should have no problems.

Good luck

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 7

As long as it is kept in air condditioning and not kept in an air tight container it should be fine. Humidity is a killer on fondant bows.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 7

for my bows I mix a little bit of gumpaste in for some peace of mind, but if you let it dry fully it should be just fine.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 7

Not to scare you, but the last one I did, I did only fondant (not 50/50 fondant gumpaste) as I was in a hurry, and was bringing it myself to a friend's party.

It looked great at first (it's the brown/pink package cake in my photos) but by the time we ate it, the bow was completely "deflated." The moisture from the BC just made it soggy even though it had dried for several days before I put it on the cake. icon_cry.gif It just kind of cracked and went flat.

It tasted great, though!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 7

........moisture from the BC just made it soggy even though it had dried for several days before I put it on the cake..........

I beg to differ on this. I have made dzs and dzs of straight fondant loopy bows and they did not get soggy or sag. I even put one cake in the fzr for several weeks w/o a problem.
More likely it was humidity that did your bow in.
What brand/kind of fondant did you use? I use Patinice or Wilton.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 7

I use Satin Ice, but I have had other dried fondant pieces break off as well after sitting in the BC for awhile.

I've never heard of Patinice, and never use Wilton because of the taste. (Not that anyone but little kids ever wants to eat the bow!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%