Sugarshack's Buttercream Techniques ???? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 5:54pm by cupcakelady64

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 13

Hi All!

I have already been in contact with Sharon Zambito in regards to these questions. She has been incredibly helpful and kind. However, I was hoping to get some feedback by others who use her butter cream techniques, in hopes that I am not the only one having Butter cream issues.

I am consistently having issues with measuring the lowest point of the top edge of icing. I kid you not, I will spend about 15-20 minutes taking a ruler and finding the lowest point. When I mark my cake to take the excess off, I ALWAYS seem to have the mark to HIGH. Meaning; that I do not take enough off. Why am I measuring this wrong? Has anyone found an easier way to measure this?

Also, my edges are crisp, but the top of my round cakes are NEVER completely round?? It looks as though it has a wavy shape to the top edge of the icing. I notice when I smooth my cake with the hot scraper, that the top of the scraper sometimes does not touch the top of the icing all the way. Do you think this can cause the wavy look, or is it because I am not taking enough off the top??

I am soooo sorry for this looong rant, but I hope those of you who use her techniques can shed some light on my issues.

Thank you
=)

12 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 13

Wavy look can be cause by scraping against a cardboard. The little corrugated edges are hell, and I refuse to use cardboards for this reason. I cut foam core nice and smooth, never any ridges and bumps for the bench scraper to catch on. Also, make sure you put that icing on very thick, thicker than you know you need it. You are aiming to scrape off, leaving a nice even layer. When you find your lowest point, assuming you put on a nice thick coat on the top tier, go ahead and subtract a little more, just to be sure. You should be good that way.

I am a die hard SMBC user, but have found that SS icing is pretty dang awesome, and like to use it in warm months.

Mikel79 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 13

__Jamie__....

Thank you for your reply. I never thought about my scraper dragging on my board. Come to think of it, I do keep my scraper directly against the bottom of my cake drum. Sometimes the edge of the cake drum is not smooth and my scraper jumps around.

I cannot remember if Sharon Z. shows her scraper directly on her cake drum or does she hold it up slightly off her drum??? I am going to have to watch it again.....for the 150th time......=)

Thank you again...

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 13

Hi! My scraper sits direclty on the base board that the cake is sitting on. I am very careful to keep it at as close to 90 degrees as I can. I mention in the video that my hand wants to tend to lean out a little at the top of the scrpaer, so I have to make a conscious effort to hold the top part of that scraper close into that top edge of icing. ( so i get a straight up and down side, not a slanted one).

As far as measuring your top, it really should not take that long. Just a teirl or two aorund with your ruler and you should be able to see the lowest spot. But like Jamie said, if you are consistently too high, then make your template a few notches lower than what you actually measure.

I am so sorry you are struggling. Learning to get a great BC iced cake is a -itch, I will agree with that. Took me a lot of practice.

I hope that helped some and let me know if I can help any further.

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif Sharon....dang your icing is awesome, I can't believe what happens when you invest in some hi ratio shortening and follow the directions! Love it!!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks Jamie!

I know I love my Sweetex. I have often said I would carry the 50 pound block on my back across the Saraha if that was the only way I could get it. icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 13

Sharon!

Thank you for your help....again! =)

I am following directions closely, but like you said it is going to take practice. By the way, Sweetex is amazing!!! No more crisco for me...

=)

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 13

What is SS Icing? I'm guessing that it's SugarShack Icing. And from what i've read about Sugar Shack, it must be WONDERFUL!

Could someone post the recipe?

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 13

cupcakelady....which Kitchen Aid mixer do you have, or what quart capacity is your mixer?

cupcakelady64 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 13

5 qt

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:45pm
post #11 of 13

Here is a link to SS's recipe, I have been using it since I join CC and I love it and get raves from people... over the taste, smoothness and texture.

Also check out her blog, she has wonderful "How to's" on it.

Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Sharon

cupcakelady64 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:54pm
post #13 of 13

Well, that seems easy enough! icon_cool.gif

Learn something new every day!!

Thanks! Keep on Cakin'!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%