Anybody In The Lancaster Pa Area ?

Decorating By Cascades Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 1:54am by Cascades

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:14am
post #1 of 4

In October I am taking a week long wedding cake class from July Bayshore at The House of Claredon. I am so excited! I was wondering if there was anybody out there that could give me some advice on where to stay. They recommend that I stay at the Lancaster Arts Hotel. Is there any other hotels nearby that might be a little less pricey? I will be traveling alone, so I guess I should be sure I stay in a nicer area. From what I can see on the internet, the whole town looks wonderful though!

I would appreciate any advice you can give, also if any of you know anything about the school, dish!

Thanks. This Californian is so looking forward to seeing your beautiful state in the fall.

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 4

i'm sure you've been to these sites:
http://www.800padutch.com/
http://www.padutchcountry.com/

tho' I don't live there -- I should as much as I've visited and love the place.

there are many, many fine motels and hotels outside of Lancaster city proper, if you don't mind driving a bit.

there are even private homes you can get a room in -- often with the most fabulous good old fashioned Amish home cooking!

and do plan to have at LEAST 2 extra days just to explore.

see this page to start shopping for a place to stay -- be sure to look at the B&Bs and the farms (both working -- meaning they still live there) and non-working (just for tourists)

this page has MANY listings for motels/hotels:
http://www.padutchcountry.com/lodging/hotel_motel.asp
all the major chains are there in addition to local ones
I usually stay at a budget level (motel 8, red roof, days inn, etc.) as I'm only the room to shower and sleep.

be sure to use the main site to look at all the attractions in the area, like the train museum. If you like religious drama, the Sight & Sound® Millennium Theatre® is a must! You won't believe the size of the stage and the backstage tour is fascinating! And there's a really great car museum.

of course you have to make it over to Intercourse and Bird-in-Hand and hit the Kitchen Kettle Village (oh my gosh -- the FOOD there! the jams, the jellies, the FUDGE! -and it's all made on site! as fresh and good as it gets!)

and if you do have a car (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) -- the do the audio tape tour of the area -- fascinating and so leisurely - you an stop whenever and where ever you like -- hit the pretzel factory, the potato chip factory, the farmer's market (hmm....I seem to be focusing on food! -- well stand warned this is NOT! a diet zone)

and do make sure to go to one of the restaurants run by the Amish that serves family style -- they put you at long tables mixing several families from different parts of the country to get to foster Gemutlichkeit (friendly fellowship and good times) and then serve heaping amounts of food in big, pass around dishes just like at a family get together.

and then -- oh lordy your credit card could melt -- there are the OUTLETS -- all the big brands and some unique to the area are there.

and the Amish woodworking shops and the antique shops.

----
NAW - I don't love the place!

---

And we haven't even touched on Lancaster (the city) yet -- be ye warned -- lots of fabulous antique shops and other boutiques there.

This place seriously can drain your wallet -- but you'll love every minute of it!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 4

I grew up in the Lancaster area. I would recommend staying at Willow Valley in Willow Street. It's only a 10 minute drive into the city. My second choice would be The Eden Resort (also about a 10 minute drive). That's were I spend my honeymoon night. It's only second choice since it may be more expensive, but I haven't price hotels in a while in the area since I have family there. I am familiar with the House of Claredon. The owner is very fun. You should have a great time. Let me know if you need any more information.

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys. It all sounds so wonderful. I can't wait. I am going to really have to get going on my planning. I will be turning 49 in October. This is my birthday present to myself. After this one, I don't think there will be any turning 50! My profile will now read 49 and HOLDING!

Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%