Help With Sps!!

Decorating By LittleLamb2 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 6:35pm by LittleLamb2

LittleLamb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLamb2 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 8

I'm using the SPS for the first time for a wedding cake. I just finished torting and filling the bottom 14". I held the leg of the SPS up to the cake and they are exactly the same height. I still need to ice and fondant. Should I cut the other tiers a little smaller or will it settle enough over night? Should I try to fix the 14" in any way? I really need this to be sturdy as it has to travel 2 hours. Please help!! icon_eek.gif TIA

7 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 8

That's a question for leahs! She's the resident SPS expert.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #3 of 8

She's on-line now I just saw her answer another forum post......try PM'ing her.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 8

Sorry, but you're in trouble. If the legs are too short, then the weight of the upper tiers resting on the SPS plate is going to sink down until the he legs are resting on the bottom board. In other words, your bottom tier is going to smoosh.

It's critical to measure before assembly. If you're using four layers per tier, then each layer needs to be 7/8 inch. Anything taller and you're in trouble.

If you have the taller legs, cut them to what you need. If you don't have the taller legs, you're going to have to disassemble the cake and scrape out some filling or trim the layers.

icon_sad.gif

But once you get the cake assembled with SPS it isn't going to move.

leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:02am
post #5 of 8

And you remembered to pop the collars off, right? That gives you another 1/4" to play with.

LittleLamb2 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #6 of 8

Thanks Leah, I did forget about the collars. I guess I will have to trim the bottom layer because I don't have the longer legs. Lesson learned, measure twice, cut once.

Thanks.

leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 8

How'd things turn out?

LittleLamb2 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 8

Actually, I let them sit after I torted and filled them. I wrapped them in plsstic wrap and sat them over night with a flat book on top. By morning they were all a good size. The cake left this morning so hopefully I will here it made it to it's destination safely, thanks to SPS.
Thanks for your help Leahs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%