Anyone Ever Do This? Suggestions?

Decorating By Trials_N_Error Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 12:42pm by Trials_N_Error

Trials_N_Error Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trials_N_Error Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 24

I will be making a cake for this weekend. I'm doing it for a paticular ministry that has a new logo. I thought it would be cool to have the logo exploding through the cake, making it look like the fondant is being torn away.

The logo itself is going to be hand painted on a smaller cake and then the main cake will either be a standard full or half sheet cake. I have a few ideas, but if someone has done something similar to this I'd really appreciate any advice.

I'll draw pic of what I'm thinking when I get a chance. Sorry if I'm confusing anyone.

Thanks again. icon_biggrin.gif

23 replies
LynnZClaire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynnZClaire Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 24

Not exactly sure what you're asking, but I've done a few cakes where I had things appear to be busting out of the cake...check out my pics and if you have any question just ask me icon_smile.gif

So its easier for you and you don't have to click on all my pics, lol, its the Alabama cake (elephant is busting out of the cake) and the Dallas Cowboys fathers day cake (football is busting out of the cake).

ps. I NOT A professional, as you can see in my pics icon_smile.gif

pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 24

i did a search for exploding the other day looking for something else and saw several cakes in the gallery with fondant peeled back, maybe that would help?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 24
Trials_N_Error Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 24

Thanks! Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about. I wasnt sure how I should go about peeling back the fondant to make it look like it exploded through the cake. I see that a few people perhaps double wrapped their cake and just peeled back the second layer. (Thats what I'm assuming anyway)

Here is my rough sketch of my idea.
LL

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 24

I have seen it done where they cut the fondant and shape it ahead of time so that it could dry some. Then glue it on the cake.

Doug Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 24

easiest is just as you've figured out.

double warp

bring out the knife or exacto

cut and peel (the fondant! -- not your finger! icon_rolleyes.gif)

----
if you watch Ace of Cakes -- Geoff is always doing variations of this to make building and car windows. They usually use modeling chocolate as the first (under) layer

Trials_N_Error Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 24

Great! Thank you so much. I thought I saw this done on one of the MANY reality Cake TV shows that I've seen. (lol) I couldnt remember which one.

Using modeling chocolate is a good idea. I may actually do that so there isnt a really thick layer of fondant. For this cake I'm going to attempt a new type of filling for this cake as well.

Which reminds me...

I thought I'd share something I thought may be interesting for a cake filling, icing or whatever...

I just saw this flavored topping in the supermarket near the Hersey chocolate syrup, it is a desert topping in three different flavors - Dr. Pepper, Orange crush soda and A&W Root beer. I thought perhaps if this was mixed with some butter cream it may give it an interesting flavor. I guess you could always use real soda as well, but this was thick like syrup.

Doug Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 24

oh I am so there on the Dr. Pepper flavor.

that sounds like a truly great idea.

Orange Crush might even come out Dreamcicle like (esp. with a dash of vanilla)

and can we say Root Beer Float?

-----

eagerly awaiting the results of your experiments

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:14pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

but this was thick like syrup.

I just read a recipe this week for a rootbeer buttercream. The liquid in the icing was reduced rootbeer. Just pour a good brand of rootbeer into a pan and boil it down to reduce it. It ends up like a thick syrup. Sounds tasty!

Trials_N_Error Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 24

DR. PEPPER! My FAV! (My wife was like... GROSS! LOL)

Yes, I was thinking the same thing with the creamsicle thing. I thought it would go really well with the orange cranberry cake that I make.

It would be so cool to make a 3D Rootbeer float cake with Root beer butter cream inside! MMmmm

I feel like a mad scientist! Muah hah hah ha ha

icon_rolleyes.gif

Doug Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trials_N_Error

DR. PEPPER! My FAV! (My wife was like... GROSS! LOL)

Yes, I was thinking the same thing with the creamsicle thing. I thought it would go really well with the orange cranberry cake that I make.

It would be so cool to make a 3D Rootbeer float cake with Root beer butter cream inside! MMmmm

I feel like a mad scientist! Muah hah hah ha ha

icon_rolleyes.gif

you are of course going to post your orange cranberry recipe to the recipe section -- aren't you?? (i just checked and there is not even ONE recipe like that in there! -- you can be the first!)

cags31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cags31 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:17pm
post #13 of 24

I actually just did an exploding cake last night for the first time. Planet cake book by Paris Cutler has an excellent description of how to do it. A quick version:
Use an 8cm cutter to cut out two circles. Place circles on top of each other and place them in the centre of the cake. Brush the top of the top circle with syrup. Then cover your cake with icing and with a small knife, cut four lines through the icing (you will be able to see the circle underneath) so you end up with 8 triangles (looks like a pizza). Then pull the triangles outwards so they curl back.
Hope that helps
Good Luck
LL

Trials_N_Error Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:38am
post #14 of 24

Wow that looks really great! Thank you for sharing! I'm still a little confused with your description though. I'm gonna have to take a look at it again before I start this project.

Doug - I tried posting the recipe twice and it said it was posted, but I still cannot find it. Not sure if I need to give it more time or something, I've never done it before.

Trials_N_Error Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #15 of 24

Doug - (or anyone else interested) Just wanted to let you know that they posted my recipe. Check it out here - icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7605-2-Orange-Cranberry-Cake.html

Doug Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #16 of 24

THANKS!

that looks really good!

wonder what it would be like if you took cranberry juice and reduced it to a syrup and then added PS to get a glaze?

(could do the same with the orange juice!)

Trials_N_Error Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #17 of 24

Mmmm... I'll have to try that. Thanks for the idea. I think I may try that orange crush syrup stuff I saw with this, minus the cranberries. I think it may taste like those orange Hostess cup cakes.

Trials_N_Error Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #18 of 24

Just thought I'd send the link to the finished product.

Thanks to everyone that helped me figure this out. : )

BTW... Wrapping the two half sheet cakes stacked on top of each other was such a PAIN! I must of done it over and over again like 15 times! Uhg! I never had so much trouble before ever...bubbles, too thin, ripping... the list goes on.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1443597.html

Doug Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:43pm
post #19 of 24

WOW oh WOW

great job!

1st time = worst time.

next time will be much easier!

----

tho' -- go on with you -- that logo and lettering is basically done free-hand????

OMGosh! -- that's excellent work!

----

great design and execution.

Trials_N_Error Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #20 of 24

I really hope it will be easier the next time!

Regarding the lettering - Yes, its freehand. I have the logo sitting in front of me and I use slight impressions with a toothpick as a guide. Please keep in mind though that I'm not new to this art stuff... I went to school for 4 years commericial art... then 2 years advertising art and design, I then went on to work as I a graphic artist in NYC for a while. As a side job I hand painted and did lettering for trucks, businesses...etc. Believe me... I absolutley HATE lettering. It is the worst! : )

Thanks again for the compliments!

Doug how can I go about looking at your cake designs?

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #21 of 24

great post, I have to make a cake something like that next month.
Any hints and tips are great!
icon_smile.gif Jodi

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:10pm
post #22 of 24

Thanks for posting the recipe Jay. I've saved it and am looking forward to trying it out. Great job on the cake btw! thumbs_up.gif

cags31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cags31 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:26am
post #23 of 24

I think it looks great! Good job icon_smile.gif

Trials_N_Error Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:42pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelycharmed

great post, I have to make a cake something like that next month.
Any hints and tips are great!
icon_smile.gif Jodi

Thanks! Well most of the advice that I got from everyone was great advice. Step directions and a picture was posted by cags31 which helped.

My one regret is that I didn't double layer the fondant of the bottom cake. Originally I thought it would be gross to have so much fondant, but I never thought about the fact that the top layer of fondant was going to be peeled away.
I also didn't think about what the bottom cake would look like after the top cake was eaten. Not a huge deal, but the way I ended up cutting the fondant left certain sections of the bottom cake with no fondant and hardly any BC because of it sticking to the bottom of the top layer. (because of the way I cut the fondant to make the ripped effect.)

Hope all of this gibberish makes some kind of sense. lol

If you have any other specific questions about what I did, I'd be happy to answer them.

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%