What To Put Between Stacke Cake?

Decorating By tideeboo_larkilou Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm by indydebi

tideeboo_larkilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tideeboo_larkilou Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 4

I am wondering what to put between my tiers on a cake? If I put regular cardboard (non pillar tiered cake), won't the cardboard get soft bc it soaks in the grease from the buttercream? I just don't want anything to collapse. Almost all of my cakes are made then travel with me as I take them to my neices/nephews for their birthdays. HELP!?!?!? I bought some waxed carboard cake boards, but I'm wondering if regular cardboard will work? Thanks!

3 replies
MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 4

If you wrap your board in foil it'll keep it from getting greasy.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 4

You can use reg cardboard, but I like to use the foam core board. I buy it at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. It is strong and can withstand lots of moisture.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 4

I use unwrapped cardboards between my layers. It's cardboard, not rice paper. It doesnt' sog up. Since I cut most of my wedding cakes, I see the cardboards when I take the cake apart. They are not soggy and all collapsed. I dont' know why people think it gets all soggy. It's not like dunking a cookie in milk .... it's cardboard. Not paper. Cardboard. Cardboard is pretty sturdy stuff!

If you use a crusting icing, the icing doesnt stick to the cardboard.

See my link on How to Cut a Weddign cake and notice the plate imprints on the icing .... it shows the plates was pressing down onto the icing, but the icing didn't stick to the upper tier http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%