Attaching Pvc Pipes To Wood Cake Boards

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 1:32am by cylstrial

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone out there!

I watch all of these cake shows and a lot of professionals seem to be attaching PVC pipes to their wood cake boards.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I have a cake coming up where I'm going to need an internal support system. I was hoping to use the PVC pipes!

Thank you so much!

6 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 7

There is a piece you buy that has an edge that gets screwed to the board (sorry i don't know what its called, but should be right with the pvc pipe parts) then your pipe fits into that.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 7

Go to the plumbing store--seriously--that's where they get that stuff. You need a drill too.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 7

Are those called flanges? pretty sure

cylstrial Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks! How much do you all typically spend to make something like this? (I know that you end up charging the customer for the cost and that it's going to differ because some cakes are elaborate and some are small). I'm just curious as to what others who make these type of structures spend.

Thanks again!

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 7

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvc.html

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/escutch.html

None of it costs that much but just depends on what you're making.

$25-$35 give or take?

But let me hasten to say I've only used these items in Bronwen's class. She was selling the 'kits' to make a 2 foot person for $50 but they were all thought out and cut too.

cylstrial Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:32am
post #7 of 7

Thanks Kate!! The cake I'm making won't be very big - so it won't need a lot of stuff. I just haven't made one before and so I thought I would put a feeler out there. Thanks for all your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%