Tricks To Make Great Stripes

Decorating By Mickey17 Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm by KimAZ

Mickey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickey17 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 4

I am working on a couple of small fondant accents and a cake with stripes. But I am running into problems keeping the strips of gumpaste/fondant consistantly formed.

I measure and cut the paste and work really hard to be precise, but the minute that I lift it away from the left over paste, it starts to stretch and warp and I no longer have good straight even sides. I am getting really frustrated. Does anyone have any good pointers for me?

I am going to try cutting it and letting it dry for a little bit before picking it up, but I am a little worried about elephant skin look on the dried bits.

3 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 4

you can add some tylose to your fondant to make it a bit harder and easier to handle.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 4

Definitely let it sit for a few minutes to firm up. I like to transfer my strips to a piece of foam sponge where it only takes about a minute for them to firm up enough to handle without stretching.

If you don't have foam sponge, at least turn them over to let the underside dry a bit. Be sure you've rolled your fondant on a cornstarch dusted surface so your stripes don't stick and become misshapen when you try to turn them over.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 4

A fun tool to use to get consistantly even thin stripes is a rolling herb mincer. Just roll it over the fondant and viola, perfect stripes. I lift one stripe, paint a little water on the back, then align it where I want it on the cake. Using a small pair of scissors I cut it off to the correct length.

Hope that helps.
KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%