How Can I Make A Clothespin For A Cake?

Decorating By FrostedFantasies Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 10:23pm by FrostedFantasies

FrostedFantasies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedFantasies Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:09am
post #1 of 5

I am making two "onesie cakes" for a woman expecting twin boys, and her theme for her shower is a clothesline theme. I am planning on using a template to cut out the cakes and cover them with fondant, but she would like for it to look like the onesies are hanging from a clothesline.
Any ideas on how I can make clothespins? The line itself I can handle, but I am really stuck on ho to make some dang clothespins!
TIA!
icon_smile.gif

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #2 of 5

Are the cakes going to be flat on the cake board? I assume that you'll do the line with the onesies hanging from them, but have them sitting flat on the board with the line above them, right? I'd just do gumpaste pins, probably. You could also do chocolate like a buttercream transfer, and make flat clothespins that you lay on top of the cakes, then attach the line to that. If you make them thick enough you could even put a hole in the top of the clothespin and run a real string (like kite string that's smooth) through the hole in the pin.

FrostedFantasies Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Are the cakes going to be flat on the cake board? I assume that you'll do the line with the onesies hanging from them, but have them sitting flat on the board with the line above them, right? I'd just do gumpaste pins, probably. You could also do chocolate like a buttercream transfer, and make flat clothespins that you lay on top of the cakes, then attach the line to that. If you make them thick enough you could even put a hole in the top of the clothespin and run a real string (like kite string that's smooth) through the hole in the pin.

Yes, you are right, sorry. The two onesies will lay flat on the cake board with string above.
I've never done gumpaste, but am willing to give it a shot if you think it will work!

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 5

How about this one... I loved it and almost made it but my co-workers changed their minds.

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Layette-On-Em-Cake

FrostedFantasies Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 5

Mindy-

That's where my friend got her idea, but she wants them cut out and life size! Eeek!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%